Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long tube headers vs short tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default long tube headers vs short tube headers

who makes the best headers for a 98-02 LS1 Camaro/Trans Am
1.QTP
2.American Racing
3.Pace Setter
4.Mac
5.SLP
6.BBK
7.Hooker
8.Flowtech
9.Thunder Racing
10.Kook's
11.Hedman
12.any suggestions on a company i forgot would be helpful from personal experience word of mouth or popularity
im asking bcuz im going to have a new project soon! so i need to know what headers should i use long tube or short tube?
off road Ypipe or Catted Ypipe? im looking for some headers that will not rust(mainly stainless steel) and are very durable that wil give me a nice sound and nice performance also any help is greatly appreciated thanx guyz

Last edited by teamfbody; 04-20-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2. 1. 10. 3. range from best flowing all out best quality headers all the way down, (2 being the best). Forget about the rest but there is different opinions. DONT get shorties, go all out and get LT(Long Tube Headers). Although 3. are best bang for the buck. And Again best all around means using good hard earned and alot of money, which would be 2.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by masterz28
2. 1. 10. 3. range from best flowing all out best quality headers all the way down, (2 being the best). Forget about the rest but there is different opinions. DONT get shorties, go all out and get LT(Long Tube Headers). Although 3. are best bang for the buck. And Again best all around means using good hard earned and alot of money, which would be 2.
thanx for the info i appreciate it i heard a lot of ppl say American Racing Headers were the best but those are PRICEY LoL!!! but they(american racing headers) were a consideration i'll take ur advice tho....do Pace Setter make stainless steel headers???
Old 04-20-2010, 03:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I went from Hooker SuperComps 1-3/4 to ARH 1-7/8. I hated the Hookers from day one, but the ARH's are friggin nice as hell. You pay the price for ARH, Kooks, or QTP for a reason because they are the best on the market. They are the best flowing and slide right the hell in which not all companies do. ARH and Kooks have the best customer service also. I havent dealt with QTP but haven't heard anything bad about them. From what I have seen Pacesetters are the best bang for the buck, like masterZ28 said and do pretty well overall. I wouldnt recommend the Hookers though, had a hell of a time installing them. Driverside motormount had to be unbolted and had it a huge PITA.

And no I don't believe Pacesetter makes a stainless set. But that would up the price too for better quality.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:27 AM
TECH Addict

I'm probably biased but I don't see how you beat ARHs. Pricey, but the smartest money I've spent on my car IMHO.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
I went from Hooker SuperComps 1-3/4 to ARH 1-7/8. I hated the Hookers from day one, but the ARH's are friggin nice as hell. You pay the price for ARH, Kooks, or QTP for a reason because they are the best on the market. They are the best flowing and slide right the hell in which not all companies do. ARH and Kooks have the best customer service also. I havent dealt with QTP but haven't heard anything bad about them. From what I have seen Pacesetters are the best bang for the buck, like masterZ28 said and do pretty well overall. I wouldnt recommend the Hookers though, had a hell of a time installing them. Driverside motormount had to be unbolted and had it a huge PITA.

And no I don't believe Pacesetter makes a stainless set. But that would up the price too for better quality.
thanx i will take a look at the kooks also
Old 04-20-2010, 04:46 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran FLP's in the end on my SS. They fit really well. Pleased.

I have also run PaceSetter's, SLP's, Hooker's, Grotts, and Mac's on a variety of LSx motors.

In the end, a longtube is a longtube give or take 5-7rwhp depending on if they are stepped 1-7/8 or not.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Dont waste the time and money on shortys...picking the right header depends on what type of quality u want and how much your looking to spend, Like posted above they all perform pretty equally.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ARH or Kooks if you have the jack or PS on a budget. BTW I had a stainless set of Hookers once I gave about $550 for so there a another SS option for ya. I had a set of QTP's and they had bad welds (would have leaked) around the primary and merge junction so I sent them back and ended up with ARH.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Got ARH in my vette. Freaking awesome.

Got edelbrocks on the T/a because they were onsale for like 260 bucks.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i have KOOKS. top notch LTs.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Launching!

look like i will go with the ARH's thanx 4 eveyone's help

Quick Reply: long tube headers vs short tube headers