Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have header ratle issues?

Old 05-03-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone have header ratle issues?

Ive noticed just lately that when I start my car when its cold that there is what sounds similar to a rod knock eminating from under the car. As the engine warms up the noise goes away until I let out the clutch and the engine torques up a bit I get a few more knocks. Im not one that enjoys chacing down noises but being pretty sure its not "piston slap" or a "rod knock" I placed the car on a lif and notice I can simulate the noise when I hit the drivers side collector with my fist. I have Kooks S/S headers and a Kooks aluminized Y-pipe with magnaflow cats. I fear that perhaps the honeycome became detached within the cat itself. When i ordered the headers back in 2005 I was told I could only get an aluminized Y-pipe now I understand Kooks offers a staniless. Figures. Tonight i plan on tightening all the clamps in efforts to eliminate the recent knocking noise. I am just curiouls if anyone else with staniless headers and a aluminum y-pipe has had a similar expericnce and how you fixed it?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

i had tha problem with mine hitting the floor board...until i went to the muffler shop
Old 05-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Teching In

If its hitting you floorboard you may want to check you motor mounts... they my be shot.. my headers/piping hit my floor boards when i went above 3,000 rpm and i replaced stock mounts with poly... check tops of exhaust pipe for bang marks and bottom of car for a possible contact points to verify if this is in fact the problem...

Search this Thread