Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought an LS1 Camaro z28, issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bought an LS1 Camaro z28, issues?

Ok here is the deal, yesterday at night i finally sold my v6 firebird for 4k with hail damage lol and made a good deal on it. I had my eye on a 01 camaro z28 that looked extremely clean, almost out of the factory and the guy wanted 5k for it, so after negotiating i bought it for 4.5k and everything on the car works perfect until today

I was crusing around the city and i had the A/C full blast, radio almost at full blast, and i was punching it on the freeway to test the car and it ran really smooth, and then suddenly the check gauges came up and the A/C began to blow hot air and the radio started to turn off and on for a few seconds, so i got my first exist of the freeway and on the red light, the car's instrument panel began to flash with the ASR off light abs and air bag and then the SES turn on and then i was like WTF, then i went to the nearest gas station and the car bearly made it and died there,

charged the battery at o'reilly and said it was good but the brand of the battery "EVERSTART" just didnt seem to like my camaro

specs battery when hot 540 amps,when cold 420amps

what you guys think ill post a video of my car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5hI525NUHA

Last edited by needtransam; 05-07-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

The check gauges light comes on to let you know that you need to ummmm... check the gauges. So the options are: low fuel, low voltage, low oil pressure, or high engine temperature. Which one was it?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definatley sounds like an electrical problem. Dead Alternator? Car was running on battery until it wore down, and car started acting up?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
The check gauges light comes on to let you know that you need to ummmm... check the gauges. So the options are: low fuel, low voltage, low oil pressure, or high engine temperature. Which one was it?
+1 on this
And after watching that video you seem new to ls1's. That filter is for the smog pump due to the aftermarket lid. And wtf is a air silencer?
Old 05-07-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jugz ss
+1 on this
And after watching that video you seem new to ls1's. That filter is for the smog pump due to the aftermarket lid. And wtf is a air silencer?

i think hes referring to that air baffle behind a stock lid that was removed.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i think hes referring to that air baffle behind a stock lid that was removed.
ooh I kind of figured that but he had the camera focused from the maf and tb
Old 05-08-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jugz ss
ooh I kind of figured that but he had the camera focused from the maf and tb
yeah i was referring to that, bought a new battery stupid me since it wasn't the battery most likely the alternator since the voltage meter was below 13 it was on the red side of it, and decreased as time passed eventually reaching the 8 on the voltage meter causing the car to completely shut down lol

yeah im fairly new to ls1's I've repaired LT1's and v6's but this is my first time messing with an ls1, really nice motor, i can reach the plugs from the top lol, so if you guys can tell me some tips on how to make it faster without spending an arm an a leg, simple stuff ect.

Also, was wondering what kind of exhaust this car since its not stock, but doesnt sound loud at all, its almost as silent as the stock one?
Old 05-08-2010, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

replace your alternator and i think you should be fine. as far as the exhaust i'd say lay down underneath the back of your car and look at the muffler and read the brand name lol welcome aboard and enjoy the car!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol yeah going to test it out tomorrow at o'reilly, if its bad, what brand of alternator should i get?
Old 05-08-2010, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by needtransam
lol yeah going to test it out tomorrow at o'reilly, if its bad, what brand of alternator should i get?
Aftermarket (NAPA, O'reily, Autozone, Advance) are all similar rebuilt cores. Assuming equal ratings for the Amperage, it's up to you. Choose between a) cheaper cost, or b) longer warranty
Old 05-08-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i put in a new alternator Ultima is called, the car showed voltage above 13 volts on the voltmeter, but after a few runs and loud revs, the car came back to the red section of the voltmeter and "Check Gauges" appeared again?, i still have my walmart battery in, but they tested it and said it was good? so im not sure what it could be please help lol
Old 05-08-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

its been awhile but ive had problems with rebuilt alternators. how much more are OEs compared to others?
Old 05-08-2010, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Check your grounds, make sure they are clean
Old 05-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you pulled the codes yet? Go to Autozone and have them check what is the SES light for.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont have a ses light, only the check gauges light, and the car died in a gas station now im not sure what it could be

Does the alternator cable that connects to the top have one red cable from the pigtail or does it have all 4?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Launching!

ok the (AIR WTF) ..... U NEED TO KNOW ....

1. LS1TECH Z A DATABASE OF 80% OF YOUR CAR INFORMATION !! (OPEN AS MUCH THREADS AS YOU LIKE BUT PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH & EVERY1 WILL GLADLY INPUT HELP REQUIRED.

The unknow hose is for the damn air pump (SHOULD BE REMOVED AFTER RACE STYLE HEADERS INSTALL)

if the car has an audio system with amp's ..... it may lead to a dead BATTERY !!

CHECK which gauge is on the red lines .... if its the battery .... then you need a battery re-charge or swap ... BTW CHECK GAUGES INCLUDES the low fuel light ..... post us what's up ..
Old 05-08-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did my research but just wondering, replaed it again the alternator and car seems fine right now