Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to tackle intake manifold swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 08:23 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default About to tackle intake manifold swap

Hey boyz,

I'm about to swap in a LS6 intake manifold. I've gone through the mods sticky. This is for those who've done the swap and might know a few other little tricks not posted anywhere.

I've ordered a set of intake gaskets and a new PCV tube kit as the original is shot. I'm aware of grinding the manifold's ribs on the bottom to clear the steam piping.

What else might I need? Will I break the oil pressure sensor for sure?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time I did one (Z) I forgot to hook up a tiny little vacuum hose up to the back of the manifold:

Can't remember off hand what its called, but I hooked/unhooked things and finally just took the manifold off and started over.

First time I broke it up into 2 afternoons and when I put 1 on my Formula I did it in a few hours. Just take your time and make sure everything is disconnected, before you pull it off. Put some masking tape on the manifold bolts to hold them up if you are working alone (which I like to do with no one interrupting you.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

I have never broken the OPSU and kind of have a hard time understanding how people do. Makes me wonder how violent people are getting pulling intakes off. Anyway the tape trick is a good idea as those bolts can be a bitch even with two people. I have used small zipties around the bolt about an inch from the washer in a pinch too. As for the OPSU just remember to lift up a little bit before pulling out. It really isn't that hard. A hammer and chisel is 49X faster on the bottem ribs but I understand if you don't want to risk damaging your new intake, although you wouldn't. They knock right off. It's a pretty simple swap man.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

After you take the manifold off I would pull up the rubber grommets on the valley cover and take a look at the knock sensors. If either looks rusted/corroded I would replace it.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

I broke my OPSU and I was being very careful not to... still happened though. It's very delicate. Mine was ~$30 dollars at Autozone. You also need a special socket to put the new one in. Autozone sells that too for around ~$10.

I had trouble working under the cowl and just getting my arm/hand in there. Just take your time and make sure you do it right.

Make sure nothing falls into your heads. That would suck
Old 05-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

The job is really pretty simple. I started the job at 11 a.m. and I was driving the car by 1 p.m.

I didnt have any problems breaking anything, I didnt have to hold the back 4 bolts with anything I dont really see why people have so much trouble with that to be honest. Just make sure you swap all your brackets and sensor over before you put it back in the car. Also make sure that you get your injectors clipped, theres been some people who didnt get them clipped back on and had misfire issues. Good luck man it might look intimidating but its really pretty simple.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished putting my BBK in, took about an hour and a half. My biggest suggestion is when you put it in, stand on the driver side and hold the intake by the tb opening and the other hand on the brake booster elbow, that way you can feel the oil pressure sender as you try to scoot it back and you can go up and over real easy.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:28 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Good advice guys, thanks.

If I might need knock sensors (and that OPSU!) I'd better get them first. I can't have the car sit while I run to get something. It's my only set of wheels these days.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Good advice guys, thanks.

If I might need knock sensors (and that OPSU!) I'd better get them first. I can't have the car sit while I run to get something. It's my only set of wheels these days.
Good plan. Get all of them and return the ones you don't need after. Make sure to pick up the tool for the OPSU as well. If you are not getting a brand new intake I would suggest grabbing a set of the fel-pro intake gaskets too they are nice and it saves you if one of the gaskets is crap.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I took my intake off a couple months for my first time ever, I have no idea how people break the OPSU. I suppose if you just yank the intake forward after taking all the bolts out, YEAH, it'll break. Just very simply lift the intake UPWARD as high as you can, then move it forward easy and slowly till it comes out. It should come forward nice and smooth IF you lift it upward first.

The OPSU sticks up like 3 inches tall, so if you DO move the intake forward without lifting it upward first so it clears the brake booster hose, thats what will break it. The OPSU sticks up inbetween the rear of the intake and that brake booster line. The brake booster line comes out with the intake. You can also reach behind the intake before you start to take it out and put your hand right on the OPSU and as you work it out, or maybe have a friend start working it UPWARD and out, you can totally guard the OPSU so its not leaned on or pushed by anything.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:20 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did mine recently, I started pulled the back end towards the passenger side first while carefully routing the vacuum line away from the OPSU and when it finally cleared I pulled the intake out up and forward.

BTW, tape down the knock sensors harness on the valley cover so you wouldn't pinch it between the heads/block and the intake.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Maybe a little off topic not sure. but has anyone ever broken the bolts that hold down the intake? I started taking mine off and the bolt turned for a little bit then loud snap and I was able to take to bolt out. It was broken and looks like it left a piece in the heads. which is fine cause I'm swapping heads anyways. Just wondering if that has ever happend. Its 100k on the motor and intake has never been off that I am aware. Also I thought maybe it was just the one bolt but the second one did the same exact thing. Waiting on the rest of them untill I get a reply.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

the last bolt on the passenger side broke off into the head cuz my cousin was tightening it when i was doing something else and it snapped. had to take the head off and drill the broken bolt back out, it was time consuming but it made it easier to install the motor mounts.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TheBlueKnight made an awesome vid...

He did what you're doing.. Taking of the LS1 intake, and replacing it with an LS6 intake

Check it out

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...old-video.html