Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92mm nw tb questions

Old 05-18-2010, 05:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92mm nw tb questions

hey guys i just got my fast 92mm an a nw 92mm tb in but i need to get a fitting that goes on the tb. the old tb was just pushed in an the nw tb screws in. i need to know what are the treads are so i know what to get.

an if u guys know what the 2 hose ports on the front of the fast 92mm intake goes to i would like to know lol. one on each side of the intake. their on the front were the tb bolts up to.

thanks for any info jason.

an btw i am deletin the egr stuff if need to know an this ls1 is out of a 2000 camaro ss car. an its goin into a 69 camaro.
thanks jason
Old 05-18-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

The tb should have come with a 90* plastic hose nipple to screw in. I think it's 3/8" pipe thread. On the intake, the nipple on the driver side is for the evap purge, and the nipple on the passenger side is for the pcv. Since you are doing a swap, you need to block off the nipple on the driver side. If you are running a pcv system (which I recommend), you need to keep the nipple on the passenger side.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fast377
The tb should have come with a 90* plastic hose nipple to screw in. I think it's 3/8" pipe thread. On the intake, the nipple on the driver side is for the evap purge, and the nipple on the passenger side is for the pcv. Since you are doing a swap, you need to block off the nipple on the driver side. If you are running a pcv system (which I recommend), you need to keep the nipple on the passenger side.
thanks i got the tb off a member on here. but i got a good deal so i say the that wont be but a few dollars. an y would u recommend blocking off the evap purge? thanks for the info fast377
Old 05-18-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69blackwhss
an y would u recommend blocking off the evap purge?
Unless you plan on transferring over all the emissions equipment from the donor car, then it's completely unnecessary. A first gen has no need for emissions regulating components.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

ya am out lol i just need the front 2 o2 sensors thanks for the heads up buddy.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

does anyone have any pics of this set up? fast intake an nw tb with the pcv hooked up an the coolant tube hooked up an going too the water pump?
Old 05-20-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have my pcv hooked up yet (I don't have my catch can yet), but this should give you an idea.

Attached Thumbnails 92mm nw tb questions-engine.jpg   92mm nw tb questions-engine2.jpg  
Old 05-20-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to thread jack, but in looking at this thread, it's dawned on me that my Nick Williams throttle body isn't like the others. Mine has no provision for the PCV connection. It seems to have some sort of black epoxy residing where I suspect that a PCV hose fitting would have otherwise resided. Based on the appearance of the throttle body, I'm guessing this was done before it was machined.

Has anybody else purchased one like this? Do I have any options if I want to retain PCV other than getting yet another throttle body?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
Sorry to thread jack, but in looking at this thread, it's dawned on me that my Nick Williams throttle body isn't like the others. Mine has no provision for the PCV connection. It seems to have some sort of black epoxy residing where I suspect that a PCV hose fitting would have otherwise resided. Based on the appearance of the throttle body, I'm guessing this was done before it was machined.

Has anybody else purchased one like this? Do I have any options if I want to retain PCV other than getting yet another throttle body?
Which TB is that (90, 92, 102)? Mine is a 90...Nick might have redesigned the 92 and 102 and eliminated that fitting. I believe the LS1/6 were the only engines to utilize that fitting. That fitting is just a fresh air vent, so if you still want to run a pcv, you will be okay.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's a 92.

I should have noticed that it was the fresh air feed... it boggles me that you can put a fresh air "Feed" at a spot that's going to be under the effect of engine vacuum.

In any case, where are my alternate sources for the fresh air? I hate to have to plumb something to the cold air intake.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately, you will have to plumb it into the air intake somewhere. Just do it real close to the tb if you can.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm... I was just re-examining pics of my LS3 intake (once I took pics I put it back in the box and haven't really looked at it since), and I noticed that right behind the throttle body mount, there's a fitting that looks like a fresh air fitting. The only thing is, it appears to draw air from closer to the center of the plenum as opposed to in front of the throttle blade.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey thanks for the pics big help an u said u need a catch can why is this? an is that was the pcv hooks up too?
Old 05-20-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey thanks for the pics big help an u said u need a catch can why is this? an is that was the pcv hooks up too?
These engines have a lot of oil vapor in them. If you've ever pulled an intake off and looked inside, you should have seen little puddles of oil on the floor of the intake. A catch can filters out all of that oil, so that all the air in your crankcase is fresh and clean.

The pics I posted don't have the pcv connected. The rear port on the passenger side gets capped, and the rear port on the driver side goes to the catch can then the pcv then the nipple on the passenger side of the intake.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Banned

Which TB is that (90, 92, 102)? Mine is a 90...Nick might have redesigned the 92 and 102 and eliminated that fitting. I believe the LS1/6 were the only engines to utilize that fitting. That fitting is just a fresh air vent, so if you still want to run a pcv, you will be okay.

I bought a NW 92mm about a month or two ago and it had the fitting...
Old 05-21-2010, 04:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

These engines have a lot of oil vapor in them. If you've ever pulled an intake off and looked inside, you should have seen little puddles of oil on the floor of the intake. A catch can filters out all of that oil, so that all the air in your crankcase is fresh and clean.

The pics I posted don't have the pcv connected. The rear port on the passenger side gets capped, and the rear port on the driver side goes to the catch can then the pcv then the nipple on the passenger side of the intake.
i saw that **** in my stock intake when i removed it.. were is a good place to get a catch can for this buddy?
Old 05-21-2010, 05:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i saw that **** in my stock intake when i removed it.. were is a good place to get a catch can for this buddy?
I would do the LS6 PCV conversion first if you haven't already.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I use the RevXtreme catch can. It's supposed to be one of the best ones (as far as design and function goes). There is one that is better, but it's also much more expensive.

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
I would do the LS6 PCV conversion first if you haven't already.
This isn't a bad idea...but, if you plan to run a catch can (like the one from RevXtreme), then it's not a necessity. The RevXtreme can incorporates a pcv valve in the design.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

I use the RevXtreme catch can. It's supposed to be one of the best ones (as far as design and function goes). There is one that is better, but it's also much more expensive.

This isn't a bad idea...but, if you plan to run a catch can (like the one from RevXtreme), then it's not a necessity. The RevXtreme can incorporates a pcv valve in the design.
man thoes are sweet looking by far!!!! are they like the Custom Muscle Car Accessories catch can i have came across a good deal on one? what do u think bot them are just do the revxtreme can. an i dont want to cut my block up on doing the ls6 covn. just not for me. i would be if i fu@# my block up... thanks tho
Old 05-22-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone using the Custom Muscle Car Accessories catch can? if so how u like it an does it work?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92mm nw tb questions