Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster vs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flowmaster vs...

2 Questions:

My friends lt1 appears to have a magnaflow catback (ss rectangal tips come with magna?) Anyways has a cat and i think stock headers/manifolds (not sure which is stock). My car has stock headers/manifolds a cat deleted 3" y-pipe and mid pipe back to my flowmaster 80 series to stock rectangular tips. Side by side the magnaflow kicks my mufflers ***! Its so F-loud i cant hear mine at all. Why is this? Honestly i dont think there is a difference in hp gains so try not to give me all that, maybe there is 1 or 2 but w.e. I am concerned cause mine sounds like poop compared to that! Is any catback louder than my set up, or what? Whats the deal, i wanna hear my engine LOUD! Seems like since i have 3" to the muffler and the same duel exit it should sound the same the only difference in the muffler.. Whatta guys think?

Secondly, the lt1 has a nice as looking cold air, (3 inch feed k&n radial filter). Is this going to be the same as a ls1's lid? Seems like the lid would get more cause the filter is bigger than those. Anyways just wanted to hear some imput!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Let me know what yall think cause i still have the option to send it back for a different muffler. I like the deep tones, but didnt realize how quiet it was!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could have gotten a 40 series 2 chamber flowmaster.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

just put headers on it if you want louder... and you are right about the the minimal gains from switching the fm out for another brand. I have hooker lt's w/ ory mated to a fm catback and it sounds awsome. Not to loud, not to quiet,, just my opinion tho...
Old 05-27-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

So should i not send back for something else? One thing i did notice is it does have a deep clean tone to it, where as the magnaflow is course (racecar sounding) and crackles when you step on it. Can't make up my mind...
Old 05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure it's a Magnaflow on that other car? Doesn't sound like a Magnaflow at all...I have headers, catted-y, and Magnaflow catback and its quiet. It's sure as hell not raspy or crackling...
Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Typically magnaflow is pretty quiet until you really step on the gas. We are not big fans of flowmaster, the just don't seem to make good power. Magnaflow or Hooker is the way to go for cat-backs IMO.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Well, just to clear it up i am not sure what my friend has on it. He says its a magnaflow and on the ss tips it is stamped so i tend to think the muffler is, maybe not. However, my set up is just the y-pipe i-pipe muffler and stock tips not a actual catback system (set).
Old 05-27-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

his might be borla with the cap off of the passenger tailpipe. This is very loud and raspy sounding. In a car, tone over loud is always best. I wouldn't ever give up tone for volume, ever.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99345hp
In a car, tone over loud is always best. I wouldn't ever give up tone for volume, ever.

Couldnt have said it better myself