Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experiment Idea, opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Experiment Idea, opinions needed

So, I have recently debaffled my WS6 hood and am thinking about trying to fab up some sort of airbox sealing method similar to the JAAM Ram Air system. While I was thinking about how to fabricate it, I had an idea to try to do my own test to try to put a quantitative number on the performance gain, if any. So, just kind of spitballing, I came up with a method to test any power increase. Here's the method I came up with:

Take a stretch of highway and start at a predetermined speed (fairly low in the RPM band) and then floor it to a predetermined speed (open to suggestions on both of these speeds, with the final one being close to 6500 RPM) and time how long it takes to get there.

Here's the way I came up with to try to minimize error and variance from one trial to the next:
Stay in the same gear to eliminate shift time error
Reach operating temp for a set time to try get consistent engine bay temps
Use cruise control to keep beginning RPM constant
Same stretch of level and straight road
Multiple runs to get an average time (thinking 3-5 runs)
Runs at night to try to keep air temp as consistent as possible
Test 3rd gear as well as 4th gear
Top fuel off prior to each series of runs and remove all extra crap from inside the car to try to keep ride weight constant

I hopefully plan to do multiple runs with the following conditions in order to test various mods:

WS6 hood scoops completely blocked off to imitate stock TA
FRA mod
Debaffled hood
Sealed airbox to hood scoops
Sealed airbox to hood scoops and lower "nostrils" (ala JAAMRAM)

If anyone has recommendations on how to make this experiment better, please let me know. I plan to post a fairly detailed writeup with the results. I'm also interested in hearing if anyone thinks this is worthwhile at all.

Info for my car:
2001 WS6 38,000 miles
M6
Stock exhaust
MTI lid
Stock motor

Thanks in advance

**EDIT for proposed speeds to start/stop**
I decided we'd just stick with 2000 RPM for a starting point and 6000 for ending which results in a MPH of 33-99 MPH for 3rd gear and 43-129 for fourth gear. I may bump the 4th gear tests up to a starting MPH of 65 which would give a 3k RPM start just to try to specifically see the differences that greater speed have on the mods.

Last edited by Shenlon; 05-28-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a good idea.. I would do the test in 4th gear.. The only reason I say that is bc that's where M6 cars get dynoed..

Keep us posted
Old 05-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Launching!

Thanks, hoping that it will get some decent results. I don't know for sure that my testing method will be consistent this way, due to variables outside my control like weather, but I'm hoping that it all stays close enough to make some interesting data points. I also have to try to fab up my own JAAM RAM air system clone....wish me luck.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When are you starting the testing?
Old 05-28-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

chrss1313 has done this with good results.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Hoping to be able to do testing Sunday 5/30 night/ Monday 5/31 morning, but it all depends on the weather. I storm front is rolling through right now, so whether we can fabricate our own JAAM ram style and/or a method to seal the top nostrils to the airbox is dependent on whether or not it pours tomorrow (saturday) and sunday to permit us to work or not. Hopefully I can get a significant amount of good data and do a decent writeup to have stickied for future reference.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

that would be cool be sure to post picts