Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast Toys Lid Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fast Toys Lid Issue

So I'm guessing I shouldn't have this gap where these two pieces join. Anyone else have the same issue with their clear Fast Toys lid?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

all the fast toys lids seem to be put together like ****. when i got my regular black 85mm lid the 2 pieces were totaly separated and not packed well at all. to there credit they did did apologize and offer to send me another if i sent that one back but i did not feel like having my car down anymore since i sold my slp lid already. I resealed mine with a combo of hot glue and plastic cement...worked out very well. best lid on the market is the slp lid but they dont make it any bigger.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:26 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah, I've had SLP lids on my other cars and they fit and sealed pretty well. I've already hit it with a bead of clear silicone, just to get me by for the time being.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jerflash
all the fast toys lids seem to be put together like ****. when i got my regular black 85mm lid the 2 pieces were totaly separated and not packed well at all. to there credit they did did apologize and offer to send me another if i sent that one back but i did not feel like having my car down anymore since i sold my slp lid already. I resealed mine with a combo of hot glue and plastic cement...worked out very well. best lid on the market is the slp lid but they dont make it any bigger.
I wouldn't go as far to say the SLP is the best out on the market. There have been plenty of people have issues with those as well...

I can't really point out the gap in the picture above, but I'm sure if you give FT's a call they can get you set up with a replacement. Give em a chance to solve it before posting something like this up and putting a bad image on the company. They are stand up guys over there, I'm sure they will set things right for you...
Old 06-01-2010, 12:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
I wouldn't go as far to say the SLP is the best out on the market. There have been plenty of people have issues with those as well...

I can't really point out the gap in the picture above, but I'm sure if you give FT's a call they can get you set up with a replacement. Give em a chance to solve it before posting something like this up and putting a bad image on the company. They are stand up guys over there, I'm sure they will set things right for you...
Ok, the gap is on the left side of the vertical seam. It's about an inch and a half long, and about 1/8 of an inch across. Also, to the right of the 90 degree turn in the seam, there is a triangle area which is also wide open. They appear darker than the other parts of the seam, if that makes sense.

I'm not trying to put anyone on blast, just seeing if other users have similar issues. I would HIGHLY doubt they would resolve it, as I bought it a year ago, and just got around to using it. I had contacted them when I first purchased because the lid has many "dots" in it. They advised that it was an issue with the way they came out of the mold, and any replacement would have the same "dots". So, I'd think I'm SOL due to the time elapsed since purchase.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dirty Vegas
Ok, the gap is on the left side of the vertical seam. It's about an inch and a half long, and about 1/8 of an inch across. Also, to the right of the 90 degree turn in the seam, there is a triangle area which is also wide open. They appear darker than the other parts of the seam, if that makes sense.

I'm not trying to put anyone on blast, just seeing if other users have similar issues. I would HIGHLY doubt they would resolve it, as I bought it a year ago, and just got around to using it. I had contacted them when I first purchased because the lid has many "dots" in it. They advised that it was an issue with the way they came out of the mold, and any replacement would have the same "dots". So, I'd think I'm SOL due to the time elapsed since purchase.
Thanks for pointing out the locations of the gaps... with clear items it's hard to see that stuff

Hopefully FT's will chime in and offer some sort of solution. Maybe a coupon for your next purchase from them
Old 06-01-2010, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah my SLP lid fits like ***. i want a better one but ive heard bad reviews on just about every lid/cai out there.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:19 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
yeah my SLP lid fits like ***. i want a better one but ive heard bad reviews on just about every lid/cai out there.
None of these aftermarket companies are going to come anywhere near close to an OEM fit and finish. Kinda sucks, because it's not like GM sets the bar real high in that arena.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dirty Vegas
None of these aftermarket companies are going to come anywhere near close to an OEM fit and finish. Kinda sucks, because it's not like GM sets the bar real high in that arena.
haha right, i am almost tempted to make a home made cai.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:28 AM
TECH Junkie

I can vouch that my Volant CAI fit like complete and utter crap... however, after my own modding it now fits fine.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

^yeah i remember you made a video or something about it?

after your handy work it did look a lot better. i guess volant gives you a good starting point, however don't they charge quite a bit for those damn things?
Old 06-01-2010, 02:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
^yeah i remember you made a video or something about it?

after your handy work it did look a lot better. i guess volant gives you a good starting point, however don't they charge quite a bit for those damn things?
Yea it looks better. Fits better too. I had to make a custom bracket to support my radiator. Added some of my own weatherstripping, which actually makes it look better than what volant provides. Cut and grinded into the housing... all in all it was a major pain in the ***, but it's fine now.

Just pissed me off that you pay $250 and you get something that fits like crap...