Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Air Box Lid???

Old 06-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Air Box Lid???

is this a good investment for me??? my car is all stock
Old 06-02-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

what else do you plan on doing? IMO it's more of an appearance mod than a performance one until you start mod the whole intake
Old 06-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

for now just intake and catback exhaust, this adds no power? not worth the money?

SLP FlowPac Cold Air Induction System?

Last edited by CRAGER; 06-13-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lid+filter does add a little power. also take a screw driver and hammer and knock out the MAF screen. you should also look into deleting EGR and AIR. and like you said cat back and other bolt ons. they all add up. ls1's respond well to mods. but i think the best thing you could do is LT's, o/r y-pipe, and cat back.

also have you read all the stickies in the newbie section and/or the gen III sections? cuz you should.

Last edited by brian_rs/ss; 06-02-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

alrights thanks for the info.

what about a Throttle Body Bypass also?

Last edited by CRAGER; 06-13-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lids (any lid) have all been proven to add around 10rwhp. Always the first mod you should do on an Ls1 fbody, most will agree. Also, go to the newbie section "so you wanna be fast" and read up, lots to learn. Good luck.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bad98ls1camaro
for now just intake and catback exhaust, this adds no power? not worth the money?
intake lets more air in but you have restrictions still so it's lick a bottle neck and yes the more free flowing the exhaust is the better. a lid by itself is not even a seat of the pants mod but when you do a lid, smooth bellow, MAF and LS6 intake it'll help out
Old 06-02-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by King Nothing
intake lets more air in but you have restrictions still so it's lick a bottle neck and yes the more free flowing the exhaust is the better. a lid by itself is not even a seat of the pants mod but when you do a lid, smooth bellow, MAF and LS6 intake it'll help out
Wow really? You're telling him to do a smooth bellow ? Hmmmm, I disagree here. If there ever was an appearance only mod, that would be it imo. Lid does indeed help by itself, maf and bellow are both wastes of time at this stage of the game imo.
OP- I'd go lid and catback (cheapest bang for buck) and then ls6 intake. If you like how a smooth bellow looks, please don't waste your money and just do the "fernco mod" (look it up). Don't port your maf either, and your stocker will be fine until you really start getting into heavy horsepower. As far as descreening your maf, this is a hottly debated topic and I for one don't think it's worth it, especially when going with an aftermarket lid because sometimes the lids don't seal perfectly and may let some debris (or the lid gasket itself) into the intake, and you will want that screen there in such cases imo. A lid is a good mod, and it looks better too. Don't waste money on a K&N filter like I did, unless you really want 1-2 extra horses You could go get a dyno tune also, but if you want to mess around a little just get a handheld or better yet buy a software suite (warning: this takes time to learn how to use). Good luck man.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

I would start off with a Lid and some sort of exhaust (catback, not headers) and then from there add a LS6 intake and headers if you want more power. But to start off with I would free up the exhaust and intake track a little bit first.

And judging from your screen name you car is a 98 so if you want to get a LS6 intake you will have to delete the EGR in most cases unless you spend $500 on the SLP LS6 intake with the EGR hole or are lucky and find one used with the whole but there more rare then your standard LS6 intake w/o the EGR. And I have to agree with the above post a MAF is a waste of money unless your making 500+ HP, the stock one have been proven to support a lot of power

And another thing to remember is everyone has to start somewhere and from everything I have read on here and my personal experience a Lid is a great first mod and will add power.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Wow really? You're telling him to do a smooth bellow ? Hmmmm, I disagree here. If there ever was an appearance only mod, that would be it imo. Lid does indeed help by itself, maf and bellow are both wastes of time at this stage of the game imo.
OP- I'd go lid and catback (cheapest bang for buck) and then ls6 intake. If you like how a smooth bellow looks, please don't waste your money and just do the "fernco mod" (look it up). Don't port your maf either, and your stocker will be fine until you really start getting into heavy horsepower. As far as descreening your maf, this is a hottly debated topic and I for one don't think it's worth it, especially when going with an aftermarket lid because sometimes the lids don't seal perfectly and may let some debris (or the lid gasket itself) into the intake, and you will want that screen there in such cases imo. A lid is a good mod, and it looks better too. Don't waste money on a K&N filter like I did, unless you really want 1-2 extra horses You could go get a dyno tune also, but if you want to mess around a little just get a handheld or better yet buy a software suite (warning: this takes time to learn how to use). Good luck man.
a larger MAF gets him ready for when he's drawin more air into the engine and a smooth bellow flows a bit more air than the accordian IMO. better hope your motor mounts are still in good condition cause if they aren't everytime you punch it that fernco mod (or as i call it money that could have gone towards ANYTHING else) will pop off your TB, go ahead and ask me how i know don't descreen the MAF, SLP's lid has the best fitting and don't buy a K&N filter either, thats a waste of money also. IMO wait until you do more mods for your dyno tune.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by King Nothing
a larger MAF gets him ready for when he's drawin more air into the engine and a smooth bellow flows a bit more air than the accordian IMO. better hope your motor mounts are still in good condition cause if they aren't everytime you punch it that fernco mod (or as i call it money that could have gone towards ANYTHING else) will pop off your TB, go ahead and ask me how i know don't descreen the MAF, SLP's lid has the best fitting and don't buy a K&N filter either, thats a waste of money also. IMO wait until you do more mods for your dyno tune.
His overall goals for the car should decide if he should buy a new MAF or not. IF he is looking for under 500 HP he will see little to no gain with a new MAF and the money could be spent better elsewhere. Below is directly from the stickies and seems to be the general consensus

"What to look for: PORT/SWAP/DE-SCREEN AT YOUR OWN RISK. The stock maf is good for 500hp. If by chance your maxing out your MAF contact your tuner and see what he/she recommends."
Old 06-02-2010, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

You need to do more searching. There is an ***-load of information on this site. Read and re read a every thread that has to do with your question. Then make your decision.
Its OK to ask questions, but then your going to be limted by the knowledge, experience, bias etc of whoever bothers to answer your thread.

Start with a lid and catback. Move on from there.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^^^^^^^this!
Old 06-02-2010, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Surprised u guys dont have more done to your f bodies
Old 06-03-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well as money permits I plan on calculated and well thought out mods in the future. Next I'm going with a vig or yank 3000 stall w/large B&M cooler, maybe 373s(haven't decided since it's my daily driver too) and last but not least a mild cam only setup (maybe ported 241s as well). I'm interested in seeing what I can do with stock manifolds, and then I'm going Lts and true duals. WHEN money permits lol. Can't afford to break **** since it's my only ride in the summers, other than my gfs grand prixgt.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by projectX
Surprised u guys dont have more done to your f bodies
well since my engine blew i'm not gonna be driving a stock camaro anymore. new LS6 block, stage II 243 heads, cam in sig, a ported FAST 102 with a built trans and a good size stall . . . oh i'm gonna have fun in the car again
Old 06-05-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
lid+filter does add a little power. also take a screw driver and hammer and knock out the MAF screen.
Do NOT do the above. it will not really benefit you and chances are do more harm than good.

A lid and a good filter is good. If you are getting a catback, also go with a cutout which is not expensive and can net you 10-15 rwhp and add some sound.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Launching!

I would NOT de-screen the MAF. It's not worth the trouble at all. Just get a lid, then move to exhaust.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed regarding the lid. It's relatively inexpensive compared to other car parts... I mean what can you really buy for a car that costs less than $100? *waits for the smartasses to chime in and say plug wires * It has been proven to gain some power, most say you can't feel the difference... and i honestly can't say that i felt a power difference when I went to an SLP lid. But again it looks cleaner, it's easier to take off than the stock box, and you'll gain a few ponies up top. IMO you can't beat that for $100.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Air box is a no-brainer. Do it. Next up for me will be headers and catted y and a tune. At that point, I will be happy. Not looking to get into internal mods. Also on the list, but not engine related, will be a Watts link.

Search this Thread