Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust & Power Gain's ... !! Tring to get more info !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust & Power Gain's ... !! Tring to get more info !!

Local Shop Custom Exhaust Work & Expense ... !! Is it really that worth the trouble.

Got EGR/AIR delete & Removed ... currently runing stock header's-NO-CATS-NO CATBACK ... all the way to the back bumper ... !!
is my setup worth a change for the typical 10-12 power increase ....
Not a Ricer Counting HP but is my current system upgrade to FANCY 400$-800$ HEADER'S & another 400$ 3" CUSTOM EXHAUST PIPE all the way to the bumper ??

is it really worth the extra 800$-1000$ on an Exhaust .... i think 1k can get me a set of stock 243 head's which are a real performance upgrade compared to Exhaust ... Opinion's Appreciated !!
Old 06-03-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

What's the point of putting on heads to flow more air when you can't get air out any faster? My header and Y pipe install ran me right around $500 and was well worth it.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

1k can get you a lot more than just stock 243's
Old 06-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

I only have $425 dollars invested in my exhaust setup. I picked up used pacesetters for $175 shipped and a TSP true dual system for $350. Installed the headers myself with some help from a friend.

Oh yeah... the local exhaust shop charged me $20 to clamp on my true duals.

I honestly wouldn't spend all that money on exhaust if you can't do it yourself. The money would be better spent elsewhere like the 243's you mentioned, but that is gonna cost you alot more if you don't do the labor yourself.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Launching!

labour was never an issue were i love working on my own car ... i ain't no mechanical expert but got all the required resourses .... plus i review everything with ls1tech .. as for more air to flow freely with LTs .... wouldn't think for a sec your wrong .. but in my case ... don't you guy's support me when I say stock 243's make a better upgrade than just big pipe for more air flow for the price.. i mean how much for a set of decently used ARH / KOOK's.... compared to heads power gain's ?? right !!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

The head upgrade will net you more power than a full exhaust, but the heads are flowing more air INTO your engine. Without a free flowing exhaust to get that air OUT, the gains from the heads will be hurt a little bit. If I were you I would go ahead and get my exhaust out of the way before you do a heads/cam swap. That's what I'm doing anyway.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Launching!

**** ... i knew there won't be supporter's to my theory but im gonna search for 243's anyway ... i don't care if i run my car with open stock headerz ...=]
Old 06-04-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Old 06-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by evo462
What's the point of putting on heads to flow more air when you can't get air out any faster?
Originally Posted by TraptLP
Without a free flowing exhaust to get that air OUT, the gains from the heads will be hurt a little bit.
These.
And definitely this.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reaperchild
**** ... i knew there won't be supporter's to my theory but im gonna search for 243's anyway ... i don't care if i run my car with open stock headerz ...=]
Your car doesn't have stock headers, it has exhaust manifolds that dont flow near as well as a good set of longtubes will. Why go half assed and do mods that won't repsond as well because you dont have basic mods?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Launching!

all right ... whats wrong with open hooker headers on a weekend cruize right .... header's in the install proccess ... need motor mouts to reach home before putting em on .... i still think 243's were a better bet ... damn those pipes
Old 06-06-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Reaperchild
whats wrong with open hooker headers on a weekend cruize right
Because it's beyond obnoxiously loud? Come on man, really. My Y pipe slipped off my collector on the passenger side, and I had to drive it that way to the exhaust shop and there is no way I'd ever voluntarily choose to drive my car like that on a public road.

I suspect you'll find your car is plenty loud through a full exhaust system after you get your headers installed, especially if you're going with an off road Y.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Because it's beyond obnoxiously loud? Come on man, really. My Y pipe slipped off my collector on the passenger side, and I had to drive it that way to the exhaust shop and there is no way I'd ever voluntarily choose to drive my car like that on a public road.

I suspect you'll find your car is plenty loud through a full exhaust system after you get your headers installed, especially if you're going with an off road Y.
way i see it ....e cutout in ur off road Y is a great city driver ... but open header's .... hell yeah when between buildings haha .... thanx all ...
Old 06-19-2010, 12:31 AM
Restricted User

Not getting the point of this post lol
Old 06-19-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another "are headers worth it" thread where the OP has already decided and was hoping people would back up his original thought.

To the OP, you can do your build in any order you see fit. Most do headers first because it makes more sense to get the airflow right instead of creating a bottle neck that limits flow. In the end however you are likely to spend the money on both your 243's and the headers/exhaust anyways so do it your way.