Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP Catted Y Issue's

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TSP Catted Y Issue's

Hi everyone! Just did Pacesetter LT's, 13111 O2's, and the TSP catted Y pipe (all hooked to an SLP LMII). Both the pacesetters and the TSP Y are quality products and am overall happy with my purchase. Thanks Texas Speed. Right now i'm having a few issues with the Y-pipe however. I'll number them for easy reference.

1. Right now i'm lowered on GC coilovers, i'd say it's about a 1.5-1.75" drop. I'm having some severe ground clearance issues. I've got the drivers side tucked up decent, but the passenger side bottoms out on speedbumps easily. Is there a way to adjust the pass. side up and out of the way better?

2. The merge itself hangs low right now as well. The merge is placed right where the old tunnel brace is. I've found that i cannot use that brace anymore unless I space it with washers or sleeves. Is this supposed to be this way or is my install whacked?

3. The "stepped" band clamps that connect the Y to the collectors leak pretty bad. I've tried to position them in a few spots and they are cranked down pretty tight, but still the leaking remains. Is there a special way that these need to be situated on the collectors to rid the leaking? Or should i look for a different band clamp all together?

Thank you everyone for your help in advance! I've tried to adjust the Y and the catback in a few different positions to gain ground clearance but have so far been unlucky.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same Headers and Y pipe and Im lowered on koni/strano

1. I raised the cat back by replacing the isolators with a small one on the passenger side and a small rubber bushing on the driver side. That relieved the pressure on the Y pipe and it sat up higher. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it worked. My exhaust hasnt scraped a speed bump since. (my tunnel brace scrapes)

2. I did not have that problem, but my tunnel brace is aftermarket.

3. I had that problem. I trimmed a piece out of the clamp so it would fit around the bung.

It isnt very professional, but it worked.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

1. That makes sense. Did you use a poly isolator or anything special like that?

2. What tunnel brace do you have? I may end up having to just go aftermarket...

3. I'm going to try cutting a relief in the clamp right now and see if i can get a better position on it.

Thanks very much for your help.

Anyone else have any other ideas?
Old 06-05-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didnt use any type of special isolator. I actually used the bushings that are used for shocks and tightened it to the other hanger with a hose clamp. I used it on the passenger side as well, but I had to use the big washers as well. I dont remember exactly how I did it but it was the only thing I found that worked. (It is actually holding very well.)

I have a spohn tunnel brace. Get the flat one, you should have plenty of room. The one with the bump in it will scrape and catch speed bumps.

Last edited by Pseudonym; 06-06-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

I'll definitely look into the bushing set up. I adjusted everything a little today and have gained some ground clearance, but i think i will end up having to go with an aftermarket tunnel brace (looks like spohn possibly).

I'm from california btw.

Thanks again for your help! The cutting of the stepped band clamps really cut down on the leaking. It still ticks a little on take off but it is definitely improved over the previous set up.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

The only thing that you can do for the leaking band clamp issue is take some aluminum foil and wrap it around the junction maybe two or three times around. Then put the band clamp over it and tighten the **** out of it. Then trim the excess off. The softness of the aluminum crushes forming another layer of defense against leakage. There are a few downsides. It may or may not stop the leak... it is another "Hey this worked for me" type of thing. It rips pretty easily when you get to tightening the band clamps so a few trial and errors might be in store. It worked for me I was almost at the point of welding everything up I was so tired of leaky band clamps.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

Well sometimes those toothless backyard fixes are the best problem solvers. I'll have to try that next weekend when i have more time to get the car in the air again. The concept definitely makes sense. Thanks alot.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:08 AM
TECH Regular

got milk?? thank you so much! I tried the foil method and it worked like a charm. There is still a VERY slight leak on the drivers side. I can only hear it with the windows down next to a wall on take off. I might try to add more foil under the clamp to fix the slight leak. But hell this worked excellent.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KTK Z28
I'm from california btw.
If you were in NJ or NY I would have drove to where you have your car and help you out with the exhaust, but seeing as California is on the other coast I wont be able to do that.

Aluminum foil is a good idea. Im going to use it just for a little peace of mind.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

Ah distance is a problem sometimes isn't it? Thanks alot for the technical support though. The combination of trimming the bands and using aluminum foil for a gasket really cut down on the leaking. It's VERY minor now, it may even seal up with time after carbon starts to build up on the foil.