Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help; intermittent no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help; intermittent no start

Guys,
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question. I'm having an intermittent no start problem w/my '00 Camaro SS. Two days ago, I had to crank it about 4 times before it finally started. Once it started, it ran fine, just like it always has. So, I drove to work and, when I went to leave that evening, I had to crank to probably 5 or 6 times before it finally started. So, the next morning, I checked to see if I had fuel pressure and, while cranking the engine over, I had 58psi. Letting it sit for about 15 minutes, the gauge still showed about 50psi at the rail. So, I decided to see if it would start and, lo and behold, it started on the first try.
Now, I'm not sure what to be looking for. It seems to me that maybe this could be an electrical problem of some sort, but I'm new to these cars and wasn't sure where else to look.
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
Thanks in advance for any help!!
Old 06-06-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Once possibilty is a leaking fuel injector that continues to flow at shut off which creates a flooded condition when you try to start it. There are, of course, many other possible causes.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply Darkman!
Without sounding too stupid, what is the best way to diagnose a leaky injector? Pull the plugs and look for one that's damp, or is there another way to do this?
Old 06-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had a problem like yours I replaced the fuel pump relay located in the fuse box under the hood. Fixed the problem for me. You can swap it with the AC Comp relay to see if that fixes it. Another relay to check is the starter and ignition relays located underneath the hood as well. Those relays can be swapped with your fan relays to see if they are the source of the problem. Hope that helps!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply!
I can actually hear the fuel pump cycle when I cycle the key, so I wouldn't think that the fuel pump relay would be bad. The ignition relay, however, would be one I could check.
Thanks again for the help!!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1_Fonzie
When I had a problem like yours I replaced the fuel pump relay located in the fuse box under the hood. Fixed the problem for me. You can swap it with the AC Comp relay to see if that fixes it. Another relay to check is the starter and ignition relays located underneath the hood as well. Those relays can be swapped with your fan relays to see if they are the source of the problem. Hope that helps!

I was thinking the same thing...
Old 06-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

I will definitely give it a try. Doesn't cost a thing to try it!
Thanks for the response!!
Old 06-06-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I realize the car is cranking over but I had the same problem over and over. It was the battery, I used light weight one and would experiance this problem every other years. Same exact thing.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Well guys, I think I may have found the problem. Based on LS1 Fonzie and LS-1Z28's advice, I swapped the ignition relay with the #1 fan relay and, voila, it started! Now, I'm not pronouncing it fixed just yet, but I've started it about 10 times now, waiting about 30 minutes and trying it again, and so far, it's started on the 1st try each time!
Thanks to all you guys that responded!!! I appreciate it!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nx346
Well guys, I think I may have found the problem. Based on LS1 Fonzie and LS-1Z28's advice, I swapped the ignition relay with the #1 fan relay and, voila, it started! Now, I'm not pronouncing it fixed just yet, but I've started it about 10 times now, waiting about 30 minutes and trying it again, and so far, it's started on the 1st try each time!
Thanks to all you guys that responded!!! I appreciate it!!!
Cheers!

good work fonz
Old 06-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS-1Z28
Cheers!

good work fonz
Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1_Fonzie