Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my ARH headers, but a question on the Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got my ARH headers, but a question on the Y pipe

It was great getting my ARH headers and catted Y pipe in today (pic attached, not a great one sorry)!

First of all, thanks to Mike at WS6 store and ARH for making a damned great setup!

Looking for some advice on a small issue, we asked that a wideband sensor bung be added to the Y-pipe, but came in without one, just the rear O2 bungs.

Got the catted Y as I have a GMMG catback and there seems to be a concensus that the catted Y helps with a rasp using this combination. No idea, only have heard sound bits on here, never one in person, but most with the GMMG system seem to head in the catted Y pipe direction.

Thought about asking to return the catted Y, get a replacement with only 1 bung for the wideband, no rear O2 bungs, and have the rear O2 sensors tuned out when I get these installed and tuned (along with some other stuff) in August - September timeframe.

Or, wondering if I should say leave it, not worry about a wideband bung (I do want to learn on tuning and do it myself eventually...down the road), leave the rear O2 sensor bungs, plug them, tune them out and call it a day.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails Got my ARH headers, but a question on the Y pipe-img_0127.jpg  
Old 06-08-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually im quite jealous of you right now. That exhaust setup you have is the exact one i want. I just wanted to let you know that.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

Mine came with 02 bungs in the Y pipe. But I didnt get the catted one. Also GMMG here. Swapped out Kooks 1 7/8s for ARHs same size and the ARHs do fit better. No sound clips yet tho. For a wideband you would place the sensor in the collector on the driverside. and tune off that side. At least thats what I seen before.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Don't be too jealous, not putting them on until Aug-Sep timeframe. Still amassing a few more parts, so I can get it all tuned at once. I won't lie, dying to get them on and see how they sound / perform!

Thanks for the advice tillery, posing the question through WS6 store to ARH, see what we can do. Of course I thought of the wideband bung AFTER the order was placed, and I know all meant well to make it happen, so no worries. Should have researched a llittle more, but I got impatient and ordered to soon!

WS6 store had the best price, hands down and are great to work with, would highly recommend!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Dave,

You should have an email from me already please email me back so I could help you with this. anthony@americanracingheaders.com

Anthony
ARH
Old 06-09-2010, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Hey Anthony,

Just sent a response from my work e-mail, as I can't see my personal e-mail till I get home. Thanks much!

Dave K
Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

newb question now, So why do you need to put in wideband sensor? Is that only if you are doing the tune yourself? Is this so you can run with O2 sensors and the sensor at same time? Nice set up by the way.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

All the above, but you could use it as well as the person who tunes the car.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

K, Thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

I am looking at a paid of ARH now with no air / egr with two bungs in them.

Does that mean I will not be able to have this thing tuned?

Sorry I am newb and the discussion turned to wideband... elaborate for a newb!
Old 10-11-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostintheshell
I am looking at a paid of ARH now with no air / egr with two bungs in them.

Does that mean I will not be able to have this thing tuned?

Sorry I am newb and the discussion turned to wideband... elaborate for a newb!

OP wants a WB bung installed so he can tune & monitor things himself while driving. The front o2 bungs are narrow band and talk with the PCM but NB does not react fast enough to tune with.

On a dyno the tuner will place a WB sensor in your tailpipe and use that to tune with.

Hope that helps a little bit....
Old 10-11-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

it did. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the arh headers, catted-y, gmmg and a wideband. i use a narrow band on my drivers side and run the wideband in place of the narrow band on the passanger side.

this way i did not have to have a new bung welded on. lets face it, there aren't alot of people i trust enough to let the cut/weld anything on my $1300 headers.

the wideband simulates a narrowband for the ecm. i also run a digital gauge that displays a/f ratio in my center counsel. also, i have the wideband signal sent to my egr pin on the ecm, so i can log a/f ratio in hp tuners.

i had a problem with a "slow o2 response" code on the wideband side, so i just turned that code off with hp tuners.

so really the only downsides to doing it like this are: it takes more time to set up and is more complicated. and also when it becomes time to replace the sensor, a wideband costs idk, about twice that of narrowband.

sorry for no capitalization, i'm lazy right now. hope that helps.

ps. i really like the way the catted-y/gmmg sounds. a nice cam makes it sound all the better too. i get a lot of compliments on it, and also alot of comments on how loud it is... i don't think it's too loud though.

damn, i miss my car now.. i'm 7000 miles away on business travel right now.

Quick Reply: Got my ARH headers, but a question on the Y pipe