Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed Magnaflow catback and have questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Just installed Magnaflow catback and have questions

So I got in on the RPM speeds deal on the Magnaflow catback's and got everything installed. Everything went in fine but I have two questions.

First is how close the tips are to the rear bumper cover. I set them up to what looked good, anything lower and I think they'll look goofy for hanging too low. But now I'm afraid they'll burn the bumper cover. When the car was idling the bumper cover was fogging up pretty good from the vapors. Are they too close? Will they cause a problem with the bumper cover or burn the paint? I've seen tips literally burn the paint from a bumper cover to where it just flaked off just leaving the plastic cover...

Here's a couple pics of the proximity of them to the bumper cover...

The other question I had was it seems like the whole system is slanted off to the passengers side, like the drivers side tip sticks out just SLIGHTLY further than the passengers... Is this normal with the Magnaflow?

Last edited by 98RedBird; 06-18-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the magnaflow on my car about a year now and yours looks the same distance from the bumper as mine and so far my paint is fine and not peeling. Then again my paint isn't as good looking or clean as yours. lol
Old 06-18-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I never had problems with mine when I had the same tips with theagnaflow exhaust. Sat real close to te bumper and flush with it as well. I never had any problems either. Have silverline corsa clones and still dot have any problems
Old 06-18-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by heartless_T/A99
I've had the magnaflow on my car about a year now and yours looks the same distance from the bumper as mine and so far my paint is fine and not peeling. Then again my paint isn't as good looking or clean as yours. lol
Originally Posted by LS1Tuner_06
I never had problems with mine when I had the same tips with theagnaflow exhaust. Sat real close to te bumper and flush with it as well. I never had any problems either. Have silverline corsa clones and still dot have any problems
Either one of you guys have problems with one side sticking out slightly further than the other?
Old 06-19-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When we installed Magnaflow Catback and Jet Hot LT's/ORY on my buddy's 98 Z28, it looked like the catback sat a bit cocked, with the drivers tip just a bit ahead of the passenger.

On his the Over-Axle pipe was rediculously close to the Panhard Bar as well.

So to try to alleviate these problems, we loosened the clamp that holds the exit of the Y-pipe to the entrance of the catback and then attempted to slide the entire catback towards the back of the car.

We definitely gained some clearance from the Panhard Bar and the tips look more even. I don't believe they're perfect, but its much less noticeable. (Not that you could really see it in the first place, unless you were looking for it. But it did help.)

Anyways, you may want to give that a try.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

P.S. You may want to edit your signature. No longer "Bone Stock" with the Magnaflow.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:51 AM
Teching In

it looks great man, its just the perfectionist in you speaking
Old 06-19-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mumbles
When we installed Magnaflow Catback and Jet Hot LT's/ORY on my buddy's 98 Z28, it looked like the catback sat a bit cocked, with the drivers tip just a bit ahead of the passenger.

On his the Over-Axle pipe was rediculously close to the Panhard Bar as well.

So to try to alleviate these problems, we loosened the clamp that holds the exit of the Y-pipe to the entrance of the catback and then attempted to slide the entire catback towards the back of the car.

We definitely gained some clearance from the Panhard Bar and the tips look more even. I don't believe they're perfect, but its much less noticeable. (Not that you could really see it in the first place, unless you were looking for it. But it did help.)

Anyways, you may want to give that a try.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

P.S. You may want to edit your signature. No longer "Bone Stock" with the Magnaflow.
Alright, cool, then it's not just me lol. I noticed these problems to a "T" when installing mine. With the I-Pipe fully inserted over the Y-Pipe the over that axle pipe was laying on the panhard bar. So we did the same thing. Moved the cat-back towards the rear of the car and it seemed to alleviate some of that problem.

My biggest concern was the tips to the bumper, which is looks like is okay from what a few other guys have said. I would just hate to come out and have burned the paint on the bumper cover directly above the tips... Talk about pissed lol...
Old 06-19-2010, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sooooo... How do you like how quiet it is?? LOL
Old 06-19-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
Either one of you guys have problems with one side sticking out slightly further than the other?
Mine does with my Loudmouth...
Old 06-19-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by desertLS1
Sooooo... How do you like how quiet it is?? LOL
Love it actually. I'm more going for tone and sound quality than a decibel level now. I've had 4 F-bodies, I've done the LM1, I've done the TSP duals with Dynomax Bullets, I've done the Borlamouth, etc... I've done the loud crap. Not interested in doing it anymore. I like to be able to have a nice deep, mellow tone without drawing a ridiculous amount of attention to myself. I like to be able to carry on a conversation with the person sitting next to me.

I just want good flow, which the Magnaflow has, good tone, which it has, and a reasonable volume, which it has...
Old 06-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

my tips stick out the same length, haven't had any problems at all with this system.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine rest on the bumper...SLP LM2. Click link in sig for pics and vids...never had an issue.

Love the tips! 3.5" slash cut, single walled?
Old 06-19-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Mine rest on the bumper...SLP LM2. Click link in sig for pics and vids...never had an issue.

Love the tips! 3.5" slash cut, single walled?
Yeah, I could live without the tips... my g/f told me that they look like they belong on a truck lol... I can't disagree with her...

Got a great deal on the system though and can always swap out tips later
Old 06-19-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by heartless_T/A99
my tips stick out the same length, haven't had any problems at all with this system.
Are they as close to the bumper though? I've only got like 1/2" away from the surface of the bumper down there where it tucks under...
Old 06-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

my tips are actually less than 1/2" away from the bottom of the bumper and my paint is still fine...
Old 06-20-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Magnaflows are awesome. They seem to get a bit louder after time.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW...I have the 4th gen Magnaflow catback on my 86. Was on my 87 previously. And the tips were almost right against the paint...no problems. The stainless does a great job of dispersing the heat by the time it gets back to the tips. I doubt they get hot enough to melt plastic even if its touching. I get the vapors fogging up the paint, but if you keep it clean and waxed, you shouldnt have problems.

I also had issues trying to get the thing lined up. I ended up doing as others have said. Just loosened it up, and made it sit where i wanted, and then just cranked it all down.

I agree with you on the volume thing. I installed a cut out for when I want to be loud..but I dont even use it anymore. So when I redo things, Im just deleting it. Being loud 100% of the time just got old for me for a daily driver.

J.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
FWIW...I have the 4th gen Magnaflow catback on my 86. Was on my 87 previously. And the tips were almost right against the paint...no problems. The stainless does a great job of dispersing the heat by the time it gets back to the tips. I doubt they get hot enough to melt plastic even if its touching. I get the vapors fogging up the paint, but if you keep it clean and waxed, you shouldnt have problems.

I also had issues trying to get the thing lined up. I ended up doing as others have said. Just loosened it up, and made it sit where i wanted, and then just cranked it all down.

I agree with you on the volume thing. I installed a cut out for when I want to be loud..but I dont even use it anymore. So when I redo things, Im just deleting it. Being loud 100% of the time just got old for me for a daily driver.

J.
Cool, thanks for the pics. Yeah, I've put some miles on it since and it's not affecting the paint at all. I went out and beat on it and as soon as I got back I stuck my fingers between the tips and the bumper cover and it was just slightly warm. I'll be fine I'm pretty sure... I've just seen some guys with tips that were recessed further back and were about as close as mine burn the paint right off the bumper...