Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are headers made to fit a car or an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are headers made to fit a car or an engine?

Sorry if this is a really simple question, but I have always wondered what the answer is. If I buy some headers for my 2001 WS6 and then down the road decide to swap in a different engine (still LS family) do I have to get new headers? Or are the headers just designed to fit the contours of the engine bay of the vehicle and will bolt up to pretty much any motor that is dropped in?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nah. I believe it is made to bolt on to specific motors and tuck in pretty well.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both car and engine. Bends to fit the chassis, bolt patterns to fit the heads. But i believe a majority (if not all) of the LSx have the same exhaust bolt pattern, so its not an issue.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headers have to fit the specific car/motor, it has bolts right? If the bolt pattern is different it obviously wont bolt to a head even if it fits the engine bay. Since LS motors all use the same bolt pattern for exhaust manifolds this is no big deal when swapping heads on our cars.

You may run into some issues with aftermarket blocks with a taller deck height than stock since it would move the exhaust port up and maybe cause the headers to contact the car.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

what motor would you want to swap to any why? if for some reason you wanted to go LS6 you'd be ok with the same headers.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The headers themselves obviously have to bolt to the heads, so as long as you aren't changing the bolt pattern/exhaust port design, that end will at least work. If you are staying within the LSx family, your headers will transfer over just fine.

Now, the headers are also designed around the frame, so they have to clear the block, oil pan, oil filter, k-member, and the body itself...again, if you are staying within the LSx family, you should have no problem.

Although not the same, I've swapped from Kooks 1-3/4" to Kooks 1-7/8" headers, and they bolted up to everything, including my custom made exhaust, without having to modify anything. If I had switched to a different brand (like ARH or QTP), they probably wouldn't have mated up with the existing exhaust since each company's header collector exits in a slightly different place/angle.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the quick responses.

To answer the question of which motor and why...if the deal that I'm working on comes though and I have the money that I WANT to be able to spend I'll build a 427 LS7 to throw in there, otherwise it will probably be an LS3.

As for why....come on, really? No replacement for displacement baby .

Realistically, if I end up with the money I think I'm going to, I will just do it all at the same time, motor, exhaust, etc. But, if it doesn't work out like I want I may go ahead and do some of the other supporting mods and then do the motor swap down the road.