Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear rattling(not rear end)

Old 06-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear rattling(not rear end)

I've put this off for a while because it really hasn't bothered me but I just remembered it so I figured I'd post it up. After I got my exhaust put on about a year and a half ago, I noticed that there is a rattling noise in the rear of the car, almost like the hatch is rattling or something. It really only occurs when the car is slowing and when the drone is really the loudest. I understand it may just be something that's normal and if that's the case then I can live with it because I've dealt with it for this long, but if not, then what do some of you more educated LS1Techers think it could be. I'm going to try and take a look this weekend and see if I can tell if anything is hitting. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You exhaust is most likely touching a heat shield around the gas tank area. Inspect the exhaust pipe see if it is touching a heat shield back there.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I found the rattle was caused by the Y-pipe to I-pipe slip fit getting loose (even tho the clamp is full on tight)... the inner pipe needs to be expanded a little using an exhaust pipe expander.

Search this Thread