Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Clean the Intake Manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Clean the Intake Manifold?

What do we use to clean inside the Plastic Composite Manifold? I order another set for my 5.3L but need it to be clean. Got some gunk in it from the EGR it had in it. Also anyone sell a block off kit?

-Anthony

Last edited by RoKnAzn; 07-07-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy the block off's nor just make them if you have access to the right tools. As far as cleaning the inside of the intake, just spray some degreaser in it and wash it out. Let it dry really good before you stick it back on.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blue98Z
You can buy the block off's nor just make them if you have access to the right tools. As far as cleaning the inside of the intake, just spray some degreaser in it and wash it out. Let it dry really good before you stick it back on.
Agreed.

I used degreaser on the used LS6 Intake I purchased from this site, then rinsed it with water and allowed it dry for a day or so sitting in front of a fan. It cleaned up perfectly.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:22 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just about any sponsor on this board can get you a block off kit. You must be talking about a stock intake if it needs a block off. May want to upgrade your pcv to an LS6 style and or run a catch can so you can possibly keep the intake a little cleaner.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:34 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RoKnAzn
What do we use to clean inside the Plastic Composite Manifold? I order another set for my 5.3L but need it to be clean. Got some gunk in it from the EGR it had in it. Also anyone sell a block off kit?

-Anthony
Depends on how clean you want to get the intake. If you want to do it right...find a toilet brush with a bendable handle that can fit inside the runners. Then get a good degreaser, mix it up strong with some water and fill the intake up. I actually blocked off one end and actually filled mine up. I let it sit for a few hours. Then I dumped it out and it was solid black. Filled it up halfway and shook it like crazy and got more black crap out. Had to do that like 5 times and kept getting black crap out. Took the brush after everything was loosened up and got a ton more out of each runner. Then filled it again and let it sit for a couple hours. Then rinsed it out.

It took alot to really get it clean. The oil in the runners felt like 80 grit sandpaper before I started to clean it, when I got done it was smooth as glass. That oil is in there deep man.

Last edited by LS6427; 07-08-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:59 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a few ways to do it. However you do it, the gaskets and injectors need to be removed BEFORE attempting any type of cleaning.

I usually do it one of two ways. If the intake isn't caked up inside, i'll remove all gaskets/hardware and hose out the intake with 2 cans brake parts cleaner. This is messy and WILL stain the concrete if there's a bunch of oil in the intake so if you're doing this at home do it in the grass.

If the intake is caked up badly, get yourself a large enough rubbermaid tub to fit the intake in. Buy a gallon of Purple Power degreaser, and mix a 50/50 of PP/Water in the tub until its full. Soak/submerge the intake for a full day, and it'll be cleaner than a babys *** when it comes out.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a Home Depot nearby, try the Zep orange cleaner. That stuff is *strong*. I think it's stronger than the purple power stuff, actually.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

spray the inside with castrol super clean or any good degreaser and wash it out, pretty easy

I just cut the blocks from the old coolant line and flipped them over, add a touch of RTV and tah dah...free block offs

you will still need the front coolant tube though, or cut the T that goes under the manifold and solder it up...then you have free crossover tube too.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used some Commercial Grade Degreaser 25% of 1 gal bottle. The water is nasty brown/black and I tooked it out for a clean. STILL CAKED So i sticked it back in.

-Anthony

Quick Reply: How to Clean the Intake Manifold?