Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Idle, TPS issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default High Idle, TPS issue

Well I just bought an LS1 swapped FC RX-7. The car has been idling super high (1400ish rpm), but luckily it has a scan gauge and I diagnosed it pretty quickly. At idle, the TPS value has been at 8-10. I went and bought another sensor, but that made no change. I then modded it by slotting the mounting holes so I could rotate the sensor to achieve a zero reading at idle. Once I do that, if I turn the car off, and then start it back, it now reads 5-6 for TPS value and the sensor has not moved. It did help some as the car now idles around 1000 rpm, but is still not totally right. I also cleaned the IAC sensor as well with no change. If anyone has any insight, please enlighten me. Idling high is really, really annoying.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just found a thread showing how to do the TPS reset, I will give that a shot tomorrow. The car is getting the rear diff input seal replaced right now. Hopefully this will be the fix that I need.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've now tried the TPS reset multiple times and after every reset, the car goes right back to 4-5% TPS at idle no matter what. I can elongate the holes even further and achieve a zero reading but it would be quite a bit more. I just don't believe that I should have to do this on a stock motor. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 08-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the throttle plate fully shut? Maybe the throttle cable is not allowing it to shut all the way?
Old 08-16-2010, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the tb could be geting hung up take it off and loosen the tb blade bolts and give it a few snaps by holding it open all the way and leting it go it also might work wile the tb is on the car but with it off you can also clean it out.

also like said above the throttle cable could be to tight and it wont let the tb close all the way.

try this take the tb cable off the tb and crank it up and see if its ok if it is then its the tb cable.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will give that a shot tonight, but when I unplug the TPS, it idles right where it should.