Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HO Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HO Alternator

I've noticed for a while my stock alternator just doesn't seem up to the job. I don't have anything too crazy (a smaller system, heated seats, line lock, underdrive pulley), but it just can't handle much load. If I put on the A/C, radio, and headlights, at idle (~750-900rpms) it seems to hang barely above the orange area on the gauge and even at 2000 rpms seems to be maxing out just under 13. I wanted to get a slightly beefed up alternator and had found the Powermaster 150amp at WS6 Store. Anyone know if it's any good? Also I read that it's recommended to beef up power cables when going with the heavy duty alternators (200+amp). Would I also need to upgrade the wiring with the 160amp?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure seems V8 Camaros have a pretty crappy selection for alternator... I'm getting my 4th soon. :-(

Off Topic PS: What brand heated seats did you go with? Do it yourself?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Launching!

I got them a number of years ago, but I believe it was from Fast Toys. I did do the install myself and in the middle of winter (carried my seats in the house just so I didn't freeze doing it). It took a little time but wasn't that hard to do.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with a 200 amp alternator that uses the truck casing - I got it from Alterstart (Ebay). It has been great for me, but I don't daily drive the car.

That said, you need to be aware that an underdrive pulley might cause problems with an aftermarket alternator - the 160-amp alt. that I had for a while would not charge at idle (800 RPM) with my underdrive pulley. I had to bump the idle up to 900 RPM to keep from having that issue. The more I looked into it, the more I realized that this is pretty typical of a higher output alternator (at least the aftermarket ones) - they usually have a higher turn-on RPM, so if you are using an underdrive pulley, you might end up not turning it fast enough at idle.

Just something to keep in mind so you don't get blindsided by that issue...
Old 07-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I went with a 200 amp alternator that uses the truck casing - I got it from Alterstart (Ebay). It has been great for me, but I don't daily drive the car.

That said, you need to be aware that an underdrive pulley might cause problems with an aftermarket alternator - the 160-amp alt. that I had for a while would not charge at idle (800 RPM) with my underdrive pulley. I had to bump the idle up to 900 RPM to keep from having that issue. The more I looked into it, the more I realized that this is pretty typical of a higher output alternator (at least the aftermarket ones) - they usually have a higher turn-on RPM, so if you are using an underdrive pulley, you might end up not turning it fast enough at idle.

Just something to keep in mind so you don't get blindsided by that issue...
Are there any after market that have a normal turn-on rpm? I've seen my idle drop as low as 700 but usually I think it hovers somewhere around 800 (i'd have to autotap it to check - the car has been tuned).

I wonder if it would be better to get an 'overdrive' alternator pulley?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have to go check my build sheet...that was the nice thing about Alterstart - they provided a print-out with my alternator that showed its measured output vs. rated, and showed how fast the alternator was spinning to achieve that. They also stated what the turn-on RPM was.

My 160-amp alt. didn't come with that kind of information, nor do I believe it was even tested before being tossed in a box and shipped to my door.

If you go with an aftermarket alt, go with one that comes with a test sheet. If you are buying it from a distributor, find out who is making the alternator for them and give them a call. See if they test them/measure their output to verify their work. If they don't, find a different company.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:56 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You could always try the truck alternators. They put out 145amps I beleive, and should have a factory turn on rpm. Do a google search for KG3 alternator, that's the option code for the gm trucks with the 145amp alternators in them.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned

Go with a 200 amp and you will be set!
Old 07-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Launching!

So I actually emailed the company and asked them about the turn on rpm. They replied that it would turn on just the same as any stock alternator, but any speed below 2000rpm (alternator) would cause a severe drop off. How do I figure out my alternator's speed at say 800rpm (engine)?

Is it just easier to get an overdrive pulley? Or do the overdrive pulleys only fit stock alternators?

Only reason I wasn't looking at the truck one was b/c of the lack of the rear mount. I was concerned that could become an issue (the car does get driven on the road).

With the 200amp alternator, don't I need to upgrade my wiring? Trying to avoid that if possible.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Here you go

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-failures.html
Old 07-24-2010, 02:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

even the stock alt needs bigger wires to the batt
Old 07-25-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverTAWS6
So I actually emailed the company and asked them about the turn on rpm. They replied that it would turn on just the same as any stock alternator, but any speed below 2000rpm (alternator) would cause a severe drop off. How do I figure out my alternator's speed at say 800rpm (engine)?

Is it just easier to get an overdrive pulley? Or do the overdrive pulleys only fit stock alternators?

Only reason I wasn't looking at the truck one was b/c of the lack of the rear mount. I was concerned that could become an issue (the car does get driven on the road).

With the 200amp alternator, don't I need to upgrade my wiring? Trying to avoid that if possible.
I dont know the ratio of the speed of the alternator relative to the engine but I know its alot higher by looking at the difference in sizes of the pulleys so I wouldn't worry about that part. But that is a great question. I would like to know what that ratio is. I guess you could figure it out by measuring the pulleys and doing some math but im too lazy to go do it lol.