Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator problems

Just got my motor put in and running but i am getting no charge out of my alternator... As i was pulling the motor and everything apart before the red wire did have some tension on it for a night cause i forgot to disconnect it, Tomorrow i will will be testing the wire for power just to check if its the connector that is messed up or not.

Is there anything else that might be the problem? I have read that there is a resistor in the wiring somewhere is it possible that the resistor came apart from the tension and where is the resistor located?

Oh one more question does the little red wire have power when the key is on or does it have to be running?
Old 08-01-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a 2001 harness there is no resistor, the PCM feeds proper voltage to the alternator's exciter pin "L" via the connector's single red wire.

The wire should have voltage w/ the key in RUN position, engine not running if I recall right. If you probe it and find no voltage, I'd start the engine and re-test.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Cool thanks for the help!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Update!!! Little red wire has power and so does the connector, so i am gonna take the alternator up and have it tested... I ordered the alternator through rock auto i have heard a couple people saying with a reman alt. they have had to hook a 12volt power wire to the other center pin on the alternator could this possibly be my problem?
Old 08-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Also i painted my alt. bracket could it not be grounded correctly due to the paint? i would think the bolts would ground it pretty good