Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my fuel pump gone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is my fuel pump gone?

Today I was driving down the highway when my car started cutting out and died a few miles later. I got it towed home and the ignition appears ok, the power comes on and it turns over strong but just won't catch. I noticed that when I start to turn the key and the fuel pump comes on it's not the normal strong, steady one second hum; it's more of a flickering, sputtering buzz. It's the original pump with 199k miles and I changed the filter about 100k ago. When I had the original 100k filter in there before I changed it the car ran perfect, no issues. Could this be just a clogged filter or is the fuel pump pretty much dead?
Old 08-02-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just turned the key to "on" and hit the valve at the end of the fuel rail and got no pressure.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be the filter, your supposed to change them more than every 100k miles lol.

If you turned the key on and heard the pump making noise, and while it was making noise you hit the schrader valve on the fuel rail and got no fuel than I would say its time for a pump.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It only hums for about a second when I turn it on. I'm by myself so I turned it on and went over to the engine bay to hit the schrader valve on the fuel rail. No residual pressure, nothing. Not even a hiss.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Given the noise, I'd also say it's fuel pump time. If you're going w/ a Walbro, be sure you get it from a reputable and established vendor...Chinese knock-off pumps are out there causing problems.

And put a new filter on while you're under there.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a fuel pump as I just went through my fuel pump failure. I ordered the plug-in-play system from Lonnie, it arrived in a week and installed in a day and runs like a champ! Actually, the car fires up better than it ever has before!