Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loctite on motor mount to engine bolts??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Loctite on motor mount to engine bolts??

So I installed poly mounts a few weeks back and on the bolts that attach the clamshell to the engine (The 37lb/ft bolts) I used a drop of the blue, breakaway strength loctite. Everyone and their brother has since told me that was a terrible idea to use loctite on them because the block is aluminum.

I have NEVER in my life heard this...?? Hell GM used loctite on the exhaust manifold bolts from the factory and they are going into an ALUMINUM head... I figure it was a stiffer mount, a little more vibration, a little loctite would be well served... Am I wrong?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
So I installed poly mounts a few weeks back and on the bolts that attach the clamshell to the engine (The 37lb/ft bolts) I used a drop of the blue, breakaway strength loctite. Everyone and their brother has since told me that was a terrible idea to use loctite on them because the block is aluminum.

I have NEVER in my life heard this...?? Hell GM used loctite on the exhaust manifold bolts from the factory and they are going into an ALUMINUM head... I figure it was a stiffer mount, a little more vibration, a little loctite would be well served... Am I wrong?
I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same on both the Header Bolts and the Motor Mounts on my car and the other two 4th Gens I've helped work on.

We even had to remove the driver side header on one of the cars a short time after installing it. It came off without any trouble. I don't see why using Loctite on the motor mount bolts would be any different.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We use Loctite (blue and red) on bolts in aluminum and magnesium fixtures at work all the time, and never had any problems with it.

Quick Reply: Loctite on motor mount to engine bolts??