Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Type of Exhaust Should I Go With?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default What Type of Exhaust Should I Go With?

Need some help deciding what I should go with... So right now I have a Y pipe & a Borla catback exhaust system. I want to change it up because I don't want exhaust tips anymore & wanna run dumped tips. I'm debating if I should run true duals dumped with some Dynomax race bullets. Or go with with dual electric cut outs through a stock muffler so I can be quiet when I need to be? Thanks
Old 08-05-2010, 02:50 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my old HOSS I thought I would do the 4" setup all the way back from the Y-pipe 3-4" merge and just run dual cutouts and be quiet when I wanted. Come to find out, i ran them open about 98% of the time. I ended up trading that setup for a true dual x pipe setup and was never happier. It went all the way out the back if I needed it to. Fully flanged. It was the way to go for me. 2.5" pipes from the collectors and sounded great.

However, I am in the same boat as you because this z28 I got a few months ago has longtubes with a crappy low hanging y-pipe with a cutout in the I-pipe right after the bullet muffler. I no remember why I sawed the loudmouth out of my first f-body with a sawzall and threw it in the trash. I hate a y-pipe with a dump.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
On my old HOSS I thought I would do the 4" setup all the way back from the Y-pipe 3-4" merge and just run dual cutouts and be quiet when I wanted. Come to find out, i ran them open about 98% of the time. I ended up trading that setup for a true dual x pipe setup and was never happier. It went all the way out the back if I needed it to. Fully flanged. It was the way to go for me. 2.5" pipes from the collectors and sounded great.

However, I am in the same boat as you because this z28 I got a few months ago has longtubes with a crappy low hanging y-pipe with a cutout in the I-pipe right after the bullet muffler. I no remember why I sawed the loudmouth out of my first f-body with a sawzall and threw it in the trash. I hate a y-pipe with a dump.
Yea right now I'm just cat back & lid... But I will have LT & a cam in my Camaro in a little bit. So a true dual exhaust would be nice & loud! But also having cut outs & a stock muffler would be nice also so I can quiet down my car when needed?
Old 08-05-2010, 03:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hit up the true dual sticky.

just for ***** and gigs here are my two exhaust set ups.

4" cat back with fm merge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SSuCJUCn3I

3" TSP TD's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZuoTQj441g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1zk-...eature=related
Old 08-05-2010, 05:13 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Theres another person that swapped between 4" and TD's.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no i had td's first. then swapped to 4".
Old 08-08-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm thinking about going with true duals with a X pipe with dual electric DMH cut outs flowing through some kind of quiet mufflers & turn downs