Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideas for a new catback

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ideas for a new catback

Well I am going to change up my entire exhaust system, so I am looking at cheap, hopefully 304 stainless, and quiet catbacks. Right now, H/C set up, I am running Hooker 1 3/4 LTs, Hooker ORY, and a SLP LM catback (not sure which one). I want to quiet it up, and with the new set up I am looking at ARH or Kooks 1 7/8th LTs, Either custom 304 Y pipe or cheap out (material wise), and use the Flowmaster merge and pretty much copy Pat G's set up he had on his 500 hp build with a 4" E cutout, and then a nice quiet catback. So what kind of catbacks are a decent price, but also wont have hanger issues or fitment issues or anything? Thanks.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hooker exhaust is not stainless (its aluminized with a black painted muffler) but it a great flowing exhaust, will be much quieter than the loudmouth and still maintain a nice deep tone. You can get them from speed tweekerz (sponsor) for $339.99 shipped right now.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
The hooker exhaust is not stainless (its aluminized with a black painted muffler) but it a great flowing exhaust, will be much quieter than the loudmouth and still maintain a nice deep tone. You can get them from speed tweekerz (sponsor) for $339.99 shipped right now.
That is the one without the tips right? I have really been considering that one so I can just throw some corsa clones on it. I do want stainless, but I know that material difference right there adds a bunch more money into the equation. That catback has been very high in my considerations though.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

The hooker exhaust has tips and uses a traditional muffler. You might be thinking about the TSP Rumbler exhaust. The rumbler is not stainless, does not come with tips and is similar to the SLP loudmouth, bullet muffler in the I-pipe. I have found that exhaust online for about $260 shipped at speed-eng.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

I want a traditional muffler for this set up, not a straight through (again). I thought there was a hooker areochamber or whatever exhaust without tips, but eh, whatever. Not hard to cut off tips and weld new ones on. I'll try to find sound clips of it. What other exhaust systems are around the same price?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

You pretty much described the magnaflow with what you want. Pypes is another option but is a little deeper sounding.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Did magnaflow ever fix their hanger issue with the driver side breaking and hanging low? I do like the sound of magnaflow, and their tips...but I like corsa more, and don't want to hack up the magnaflow system. I know NOTHING about Pypes exhaust.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

After reading it again I see your a heads and cammed car, so pypes would probably be too loud for you because mine screams at wot with a hotcam and shorty headers.

Not sure if magnaflow fixed the issue but it would be cheaper to get it welded up than a corsa. I thought you said cheap in the op and cheap and corsa aren't in the same vocabulary. Lol.

Btw I love corsa but will not spend that much on a catback.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

if you get the magnaflow exhaust with the long 3.5" slash cut tips then you are going to need to extend the tailpipes a few inches if you put on the corsa clones, which IMO is a bit messy. The hooker exhaust has tips but they are not part of the tailpipe, you just simply do not install them and install the corsa's instead. I believe the corsa clones and hooker tips are about the same length.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
I want a traditional muffler for this set up, not a straight through (again). I thought there was a hooker areochamber or whatever exhaust without tips, but eh, whatever. Not hard to cut off tips and weld new ones on. I'll try to find sound clips of it. What other exhaust systems are around the same price?
i believe you are thinking of the 4 inch hooker maxflo setup mufflex sells
Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
After reading it again I see your a heads and cammed car, so pypes would probably be too loud for you because mine screams at wot with a hotcam and shorty headers.

Not sure if magnaflow fixed the issue but it would be cheaper to get it welded up than a corsa. I thought you said cheap in the op and cheap and corsa aren't in the same vocabulary. Lol.

Btw I love corsa but will not spend that much on a catback.
Corsa clone tips. That dual/dual set up, but its like $110 for a sexy looking exhaust without spending $900 for the full set up.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
if you get the magnaflow exhaust with the long 3.5" slash cut tips then you are going to need to extend the tailpipes a few inches if you put on the corsa clones, which IMO is a bit messy. The hooker exhaust has tips but they are not part of the tailpipe, you just simply do not install them and install the corsa's instead. I believe the corsa clones and hooker tips are about the same length.
Perfect. I think that is what I am going to go with.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
i believe you are thinking of the 4 inch hooker maxflo setup mufflex sells
No, not the mufflex set up. I have seen that exhaust, and other stuff that mufflex has, but not what I am talking about.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed the Magnaflow kit on my wife's WS.6, and it is VERY nice!!! Picked it up from Speed Tweekerz on here, for 380 to my door. Its the best price i could find anywhere!

IMHO, its a very nice setup. If you wanted to polish the entire exhaust, it wouldnt take long at all! It fit very well, and sounds incredible. My wifes car has TSP's 231/237, SLP Longtubes w/cats, and now the Magnaflow. Its got a nice, subtle tone at idle, and sounds really nice when you get on it. Coming from the LM1, i couldnt believe how nice it is inside the car now. Pretty much no rasp, and no resonating through the car.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
I just installed the Magnaflow kit on my wife's WS.6, and it is VERY nice!!! Picked it up from Speed Tweekerz on here, for 380 to my door. Its the best price i could find anywhere!

IMHO, its a very nice setup. If you wanted to polish the entire exhaust, it wouldnt take long at all! It fit very well, and sounds incredible. My wifes car has TSP's 231/237, SLP Longtubes w/cats, and now the Magnaflow. Its got a nice, subtle tone at idle, and sounds really nice when you get on it. Coming from the LM1, i couldnt believe how nice it is inside the car now. Pretty much no rasp, and no resonating through the car.
That is what I hate about my LM is the drone and rasp inside the cabin. Is Speed Tweekerz a sponsor here?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
That is what I hate about my LM is the drone and rasp inside the cabin. Is Speed Tweekerz a sponsor here?
Same here. This catback got rid of pretty much all of that. Its like a whole new car. I went with the 15684, since i didnt like the dual/dual tips. I was actually going to see if i could get some sound clips posted up of before, and after idle too.

Yup, they are a sponsor here (heavy 6.0) and it looks like they recently raised their price some, but when i was getting ready to buy mine, the lowest price i saw anywhere else was 474, so its still a killer deal. Heres the link: https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...-out-sale.html
Old 08-11-2010, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Hooker for $340 is looking good lol. Anyone know how the hooker is with a big cam and ORY as far as drone and rasp?

Magnaflow might be worth the price though, and not have to worry about the tips.