Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my Thermostat an 04-08 ls2/3/truck ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why is my Thermostat an 04-08 ls2/3/truck ????

Was changing to a 160 stat, drained all the coolant and realized the new one I got is different and doesn't fit. the One I received is the oneon the right which is correct for my model. .... Mine is the one on the left in the pics.I guess somewhere down the line the previous owner changed the pump and went with an ls2/3 pump. pros/cons of having an ls2/3 pump? better design? replacement? or cheaper ?

Old 08-19-2010, 02:08 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as it works I think that should be all that matters there. maybe it has less drag on the belt?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
As long as it works I think that should be all that matters there. maybe it has less drag on the belt?
No idea. sucks that I had to waste so much coolant now I have to wait for a stat that fits this pump. Im just wondering what changes internally etc there are between the two types.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damnit this same exact thing happened to me last night. I received a Hypertech 180* thermostat and was excited to change my coolant for the first time in 6 years/150K miles (I know, I know). The thermostat I received looks like the one on the right, but it didn't fit when I went to replace mine. The cast "support arms" on the Hypertech unit wouldn't fit in the car. I broke the new thermostat trying to force it in.

My old/current thermostat looks like the one on the left. I replaced the water pump in 2004 with one I got at the GM parts desk. Didn't know it would be different. Blah.