Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck alternator upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default truck alternator upgrade

my alternator took a crap in my 02' z28 and after reading all the threads on replacing it w/a truck unit i took the plunge. i bought a new 145 amp 4 pin unit for a 03' chevy truck. i took the bracket off w/the alternator which made it easier to remove and install. its a tight squeeze but it goes in just right, you just have to move the hard power steering lines a bit for the clearence needed to line the bracket/alternator up straight. i just used a screw driver between the alternator and the lines to gently pry them a little bit to where they were not touching. my amp gauge now reads right at 15 and doesnt move at all with lights, ac, radio on. im happy with the recommendations i recieved from board members, tks.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear, I'll be doing this next week. I've read all the threads on this. Sounds like the only way to go. Did you get a larger guage battery lead, or was it not necessary?
Old 08-20-2010, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didnt but i know that it is recommended to do so in most of the threads i have read. becareful to remove the exciter wire which is the one that goes into the four pin connector at the top of your alternator before pulling the alternator all the way out. once i had the main power line off and the bracket unbolted i just rolled the alternator over to where i could pull the four pin connector out before dropping it out the bottom. that wire is thin and it is easy to damage. and dont forget to disconnect your battery before you do anything.

Quick Reply: truck alternator upgrade