Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me plan my next induction upgrade (LS1)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me plan my next induction upgrade (LS1)

Help me plan my next upgrade. I'm saving up and want to do this in one go.

I hurts me deeply to have to disclose this, but here is some info about my currrent setup:
LS1 engine with 179,000 miles - runs beautifully, really smooth, and doesn't use a drop of oil. I'm convinced that the bottom end is in great shape: its only ever seen synthetic and hasn't really been beat on too much, not even to the drag strip. Lots of runs on "The Dragon" (US 129) though.
The previous owner installed an LS6 cam, kept the stock valvetrain, and did some minor port work on the stock heads. I currently have 3.23 gears but I will be going to 3.73 gears SOON. The stock rear is toast and is making quite a racket. Just has to make it a few hundred more miles...

Here is what I am planning:
1. Aforementioned rear end work.
2. Suspension is taken care of.
3. Transmission/torque converter is already dealt with.
4. I will be having damien or patrick g spec me an uber-torque cam in the near future. I want the maximum area "under the curve" as possible as I tend to keep my RPMs pretty low most of the time. I want this thing to pull like a freight train from any RPM, particularly lower RPMs.
5. Some sort of head upgrade is in the works. Likely a factory casting with a full port job, some valve work, possible some milling to increase CR.

What I need help with:
1. Which casting would be an ideal starting point and WHY? Back up your suggestions with reasons. I will consider aftermarket though.
2. What kind of porting and valve work would be ideal and WHY?
3. My permanent residence is in a non-smog state so emissions is not a problem. I am pretty sure Georgia police can't give me a ticket for non-compliance since I am a temporary resident, correct? I am only here long enough to finish grad school (M.Div).
4. What characteristics should I be looking for in an intake to meet my goals and WHY? I am leaning toward a BBK or an LS6. I don't want to hear about heat soak on the BBK, let that be my problem. ANY other characteristics, let me know.
5. What kind of CR should I be aiming for and WHY?

I'm sure some other questions will come up through the course of the thread. Please ask and I will answer them to the best of my ability.