Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

out of balance water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default out of balance water pump?

the water pump in my car locked up about a week ago, car was idling in the garage warming up and ran for approx 4-5 secs with the pump locked before i could shut it off. i put a new (not reman) waterpump on there and now have a harmonic vibration at about 2600-2700 rpms, regardless of speed or gear. most noticeable in fourth gear but i can without a doubt feel it in every gear even neutral with the car not moving.

the alt has been relocated to the upper pass head and is extremely close to the head so i have twice removed it to double check it isnt touching anything. the only things i took off to install the pump were the alt, the coolant hoses, and 1 cold side charge pipe. i have taken off and double checked the install of the alt and cold side pipe twice to make sure they are installed correctly without interference with anything else and i cant figure it out

ever heard of a water pump being out of balance before? i cant think of anything else it could be
Old 09-04-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i never heard of a h20 pump out of balance but theres always a first. did the belt get hot?gotta be something related to the h20 pump failure ! it ran fine before that! i'd check all pulleys, idlers,and accessories.good luck.