Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust broke, time for true duals?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust broke, time for true duals?

Well, I was driving home last night and got on it a little in first, and then half a mile down the road I hear this loud noise. I stop the car get out and look under the car to see this..

The pipe broke after the merge of the y. I was able to get it wired up and drove it home without scrapping on the ground. My question is, should I just get it welded back or do you guys think I could make an x pipe using the y thats on it now to make true duals? Would true duals without cats or a muffler sound better than my current setup (Lt's, ORY, LM1) or pretty much the same?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get true duals with the bullets. I was worried at first, but after just getting it installed here are my thoughts:

1) Originally had LT/ORY/GMMG. Decent Idle and WOT, Part throttle was RASPY as hell (equiv to LM).

2) I was worried about noise. According to my neighbors who know my car well they say the true duals with bullets actually sounds "slightly quieter" then the ORY/GMMG which I was suprised to hear. RASP can actually make a car louder IMO.

3) Sound. I've gotten compliments from 3-4 people the first day I installed it that it sounded 1,000 times better then the Y-Pipe setups.

4) Noise. This is the only drawback, it is prob 2x as loud in the car from the GMMG to the True Duals. Maybe 1.5, but definitely a LOT louder inside. But it sounds so good it doesn't bother me. If my car was a daily driver I probably wouldn't go this route (maybe if I was a M6, but I am a stalled A4).

I've had 3 different Y-Pipe setups and the only time I'll go back to that is when I finally get tired of loud exhaust period and goto a quiet "Hooker or Dual-Dual" which quiets it down enough not to sound raspy. But for now I'm enjoying a badass sounding exhaust! I may try spiral flows someday to quiet the in-cab noise.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Do you have your true duals dumped before the axle or do they go all the way out the back? Also, is trying to create an X pipe out of the existing Y pipe something that can be done?
Old 09-10-2010, 05:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what Y pipe do you have? moding ur Y pipe to X might be a lil getto but anything can be done. if you want X then get it ready made and weld it on your Y then have a custom made over axle with 2 bullets as for no cats and no muffler, it will sound loud, raspy and crap.