Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARH Y pipe install ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARH Y pipe install ???

Anyone have any pointers for putting in the Y pipe with cats. Just got the headers in and fired her up just to hear it, and now I need to get that Y pipe on. My stock dual dual is still on the car. Do I need to remove it?
Do I start with the left, or the right side of the Y, or put it together first, then put it on the headers? Any tips appreciated. Don't feel like fighting it.
Thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Yep, remove it.

I just did the same thing - ARH catted Y to a stock dual-dual. Had to take it to a muffler shop for the Y-pipe, but I have custom muffler hangers due to my hitch. I didn't have the foresight to make sure one of the hanger attachment points was secured with a nut and bolt instead of a big-assed rivet, so I couldn't detach them to pull the cat-back back enough to make space for the Y-pipe slip fit. There are two pieces that join in the rise ahead of the axle, but they're joined by a verdamt u-bolt, and they weren't coming apart in my garage.

If you can unhang the cat-back, you should be able to pull it back far enough to let the Y slip in, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

By the way, I like the sound. A nice deep growl. Zero rasp.

Did you do engine mounts?

BobP
Old 09-14-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BobP
Yep, remove it.

I just did the same thing - ARH catted Y to a stock dual-dual. Had to take it to a muffler shop for the Y-pipe, but I have custom muffler hangers due to my hitch. I didn't have the foresight to make sure one of the hanger attachment points was secured with a nut and bolt instead of a big-assed rivet, so I couldn't detach them to pull the cat-back back enough to make space for the Y-pipe slip fit. There are two pieces that join in the rise ahead of the axle, but they're joined by a verdamt u-bolt, and they weren't coming apart in my garage.

If you can unhang the cat-back, you should be able to pull it back far enough to let the Y slip in, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

By the way, I like the sound. A nice deep growl. Zero rasp.

Did you do engine mounts?

BobP
Thanks Bob
Guess I'll be unhooking that cat back then. I should be able to do it myself.
Good to hear on Sound. That's what I'm hoping for, and yes, I did prothane mounts as well. This motor isn't moving a bit. Only bitch I had about the install was surprisingly the pass side header. I couldn't get it in for the life of me. I had to sand/grind a couple mil off the side of the trans houseing right at the starter to allow that header to slide in. After that it was perfect. The driver side went right in no problem.
Thanks for the pointers.
If anyone else has more info for the Y, happy to hear it. Like do I hang the driver side of the Y first, or both together etc. Thanks
Robb
Old 09-14-2010, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

I had to remove the rear hanger that bolts the over the axle bend to the body, then i could slide my dual dual around. I also loosened the clamp where the pipe goes into the muffler, this alowed me to adjust everything around. Easiest way for me was to let the i pipe hang down then slip the whole y pipe into the i pipe then bring the whole exhaust forward right onto the headers. Helps to have 2 people underneath, its a good idea to have some thick rags to place over the dual tips so it doesnt rub the underside of your rear bumper. Then align everything the way you like, should be able to adjust your tip angle, and how close you want them to your bumper.

Greg
Old 09-15-2010, 06:40 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys. Just about got it last night. Just need to throw some heat to that I pipe so it will slip on the new Y easier. Should be good to go. Thanks again.