Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

160 Tstat

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 160 Tstat

If I install a 160 Tstat i do realize my PCM neeeds to be retuned. I will be doing it in my drive way. How far can i drive without any problems?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't need to do anything special for 160 'stat when
I had it in, but I took it back out eventually. It's a zero
value mod, don't waste your money.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can drive it as far as you want, forever. You just need to have it tuned for the fans to turn on earlier at like 175 or something to take advantage of it.

And why do you say it's a zero value mod jimmy? It's not gonna make you produce more power, but isn't it good to keep the engine a little cooler for the sake of the engine? Especially if you drag it or drive it hard a lot. My understanding is the stock thermostats are high to keep the engine hotter so the catalytic converters work better, but in the case of many of us who run catless it's better to have the engine run around 180 degrees instead of 200.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by X-ray
You can drive it as far as you want, forever. You just need to have it tuned for the fans to turn on earlier at like 175 or something to take advantage of it.

And why do you say it's a zero value mod jimmy? It's not gonna make you produce more power, but isn't it good to keep the engine a little cooler for the sake of the engine? Especially if you drag it or drive it hard a lot. My understanding is the stock thermostats are high to keep the engine hotter so the catalytic converters work better, but in the case of many of us who run catless it's better to have the engine run around 180 degrees instead of 200.
i deffinatly want to keep my engine healthy and running cool!
Old 09-15-2010, 03:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It won't hurt anything with it not being tuned. You can tune the fans to come on earlier to maximize the difference between stats.

Jon
Old 09-16-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was always under the impression that lsx run healthier at hotter then average temp
Old 09-16-2010, 02:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

160...........ya gain peace of mind knowing its not as hot as stock.......nuff sed
Old 09-16-2010, 07:32 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, you don't need to do the tune and can use the car until you get it but you won't benifit from the earlier opening t-stat until you tune the fans to start at the t-stat opening temp.

Although my car rarely pinged, it never pings with the t-stat/fan mod. It runs better and cooler.

I can't say I gained any horsepower (it did feel better) but overall it's a good mod to do.

I would suggest everybody buy a spare PCM off ebay, they're like 80-90 bucks. Send it to PCM For Less to get your tunes and updates. This way, you don't have any downtime and you can still use your car.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
160...........ya gain peace of mind knowing its not as hot as stock.......nuff sed
Only if you think that 20 degrees cooler when you don't
need it, and no different when things get hot, helps any.

Say it with me, now... thermostat... sets... minimum...
temperature. Not maximum.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:37 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Only if you think that 20 degrees cooler when you don't
need it, and no different when things get hot, helps any.

Say it with me, now... thermostat... sets... minimum...
temperature. Not maximum.
Correct, it will not help "maximum" temps.

HOWEVER, since I've done the mod, my temp gauge went from always sitting at 210 to always sitting a nice bunch below it. Using a TechII, I see my real running engine temperature runs 180 to 185. We've had some pretty hot days here in NYC this summer, in the 90's a lot. That gauge has sat just nice below the 210 mark meaning 180-185 even sitting in traffic with the AC on.

My temps have never gone over this since the mod.