Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, so something REALLY weird happened when I hit a bump on the highway...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ok, so something REALLY weird happened when I hit a bump on the highway...

On my way home yesterday I hit a huge bump in these lovely Arkansas roads here. Immediately when I hit the bump, it was like my car just shut off, but kept running.. My gauge needles all pegged out and jumped around left and right for a few seconds. All the lights came on at the same time.. All the gauges eventually get back to normal after a few more seconds on the highway, but it felt different, like it had a small misfire.. When I pushed in the clutch, my oil pressure dropped to 0, and with the clutch out, it was fine. As I pull to a stop my car is trying to die, I am feathering the throttle to keep it alive.. I pull into a gas station, and right when I park it dies..

I then checked everything I possibly could, nothing was out of the ordinary. I looked at all my plug wires, coils, PCM wires, vacuum lines, accessories, belts, etc etc.. I cranked the car back up and it drove just fine back home, and has been since..

It's driving just fine now, but WTF happened? Has this ever happened to anyone?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

It might have just jostled your electronics a little too hard and caused your car computer to wig out. Momentary loss of electrical contact or something.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a loose ground somewhere.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:26 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Hit that bump again and see if it happens again.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Any suggestions where to start looking, maybe a common shitty ground/wire these cars might be notorious for?
Old 09-20-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

The electrical systems in these cars suck. Good luck finding the problem. Even if you do find it you'll never know it if your car isn't acting up at the time. Beautiful car by the way.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

I cant help you find the problem but I can tell you my camaro used to do that when I got on it full throttle . Now it hasn't done it for a couple years ! Lol .
Now I have a radar detector and full throttle 1st gear it buzz's and flashes like crazy . Bout crapped my pants the first time ! That has stopped now too. Dont know how or why .
Anybody got any ideas ?

Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Mine did that when my hood hinge was pressing on one of the wires to the PCM harness.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a dyno of the car, perhaps from when the cam was tuned? If it were and mine and I had a recent dyno, I'd get it back on for my own piece of mind. Also check the spark plug wires. Its worth a shot, but wouldn't explain everything. I have had weird electrical problems on mine at times too, but having spun a bearing, I am worried about any time I hear about 0 oil pressure. I'd consider pulling it off of the road asap and changing the oil. Look for any dust/shavings.

Good Luck.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

check the battery hold down, I have seen on a hard launch the battery tilt and contact metal and ground out for a second and then the car is normal, or acts like the pcm was reset.

Ryan
Old 09-21-2010, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup check your battery cables and the terminals on the battery. Might have hit the bump hard enough to make the battery jump and cracked a terminal. Defenitly sounds like a bad ground.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Yup , mine was the hold down . The battery had maved forward , sliped out from the hold down and was rocking back and forth . Get on it hard and the battery shorted against bottom of the hood , just for a micro second !
Old 09-22-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

check the nut that holds down the positive wire that goes on the driver side fuse panel, mine was a little loose and when i'd hit bumps hard enough my electronics would turn off and turn back on. make sure that ****** is nice and tight like a virgin butthole. also check your grounds to your heads.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slow
check the battery hold down, I have seen on a hard launch the battery tilt and contact metal and ground out for a second and then the car is normal, or acts like the pcm was reset.

Ryan
Bingo! The exact same thing you described happend to me once and it was because I put in a new battery and didn't tie it back down...hit a bump and everything went berzerk and it died. Came to a complete stop turned it off and she cranked right back up and never gave another bit of trouble. I then noticed a nice arced place where the battery grounded and realised what happend.

Oh and Arkansas roads suck because we are a huge big truck traffic area.

Quick Reply: Ok, so something REALLY weird happened when I hit a bump on the highway...