Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True duals over each side of the axle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default True duals over each side of the axle?

First off, I've read through the TD sticky and done some searching but haven't found a specific answer to this scenario.

Here's what I would like to do:

ARH/Kooks Headers w/ cats
Full 3" X-pipe TD system
Watts link
One pipe over each side of the axle, criss-crossing with 2 Borla XR-1 mufflers and exiting on both sides

The key here is 3" piping over both sides and the Watts link. I have seen where people have done 2.5" piping over both sides, and where people have done 3" duals over just the passenger side with a Watts link, but I don't have a Watts link and don't have one near me to see/measure. What do you guys think? I'm pretty set on the Borla XR-1 mufflers, so if there's another way to use them in the system other than in the stock muffler location.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3" pipe could be tough...I think the biggest obstacle is the wiring packs/brake junk on the driver's side of the axle, and clearance with a Watts link. It could be done, but you might have to relocate some stuff, and find the absolute best exhaust shop you can.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not too worried about the other stuff that's there as far as heat goes, I'll insulate the brake lines and whatever else I need to on the driver's side. I'm really just curious if the clearance with the Watts link would be an issue.

Also really looking for other options to be able to run dual XR1 mufflers and have them exit in the stock location other than being forced to go over both sides of the axle.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Like Element said...there is a lot more obstacles on the drivers side than the passenger side. I did it with a 2.5" pipe and it was bitch. I ended up:

Sinking the ABS connector an inch into the car to get the harness away from the pipe

Bought a longer, custom length braided brake hose and routed it away from the pipe and made a bracket where it mounts on the rearend so it faces up rather than pointing at the pipe:

Welded a lower panhard mount on the rearend:

And notched the panhard brace and wrapped the pipe:

I still have minor clearance issues with the panhard bar hitting the exhaust if I go to low on the springs. Getting rid of the panhard brace would help a lot to get the pipe higher up and closer to the body and away from the panhard bar.

Last edited by HavATampa; 09-24-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:18 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

HavAtampa, do you have any more pics of your setup? I'd love to see it. Looks very well done.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

I don't want to clutter up the OP's thread with my stuff since he's looking for some info on getting duals to work with a Watt's setup. Here's a thread from last week with a few more pics of my setup and some links to some nicer dual installs.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ferrerid=13535

Originally Posted by Damian
HavAtampa, do you have any more pics of your setup? I'd love to see it. Looks very well done.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Launching!

I would definitely not mind you posting pics for your setup in this thread, it looks very well done and I'd like to see some more close-up pics of how your system looks. Thanks.