Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good quality mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 05:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good quality mufflers

So I'm planning on ARH LT headers, and a custom true dual exhaust w/ cut outs, but I can't decide on any mufflers for the system. Anyone have certain preferences or opinions or advise? Anything from where you think the best place to put the mufflers are, to brands good for sound or clearance etc etc. thanks!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Teching In

You're going to get a lot of different opinions about this, but it should make for a good discussion. Personally, my favorites at the moment are flowmaster super 44s, but it really depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. The Corsa's also sound great in my opinion.

Here's what the super 44s sound like on my G8...Kooks 1 7/8 LTs with high flow catted x-pipe. On the G8, the mufflers are located at the rear of the exhaust system.

From behind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPMciksS64k

From the side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF6NuL6iKng

In car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5XtZ...eature=channel

Last edited by G8 GT V8; 09-25-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dynomax bullets, Borla XR1s. Cheap 'ol glasspacks can sound pretty damn good too. The LPP mufflers I have are glasspacks and I love them.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

That G8 sounds good. I like the magnaflow bullet muffler.

I just gotta add, I wanna know how the guy in that mustang feels as that big 4 door LS powered car makes him look like a ricer going down that track. I know that those G8s are fast but man, that mustang is SLOW. It just makes my day. Thank you OP.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Fm 44's are awesome but so are bullets.. glasspacks not so much
Old 09-25-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

You need to decide where you are going to the put the mufflers before you can decide which mufflers you can use. We don't have the luxury of other cars as to where we can put mufflers due to the floorpan design on our cars. Guys have squeezed in full size mufflers before the axle without cutting the floorpan, but they will hang low. Bullets before the axle are no big deal but leave a lot to be desired IMO. 2 full size mufflers under the gas tank in the stock location works well, but takes more thinking and fabbing and only really works on Trans Am's due to the lower back bumper to hide all the piping. You can squeeze two full size mufflers on each side of the gas tank too, but it's tight. Do a search, tons of pics and ideas have been posted here recently.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
That G8 sounds good. I like the magnaflow bullet muffler.

I just gotta add, I wanna know how the guy in that mustang feels as that big 4 door LS powered car makes him look like a ricer going down that track. I know that those G8s are fast but man, that mustang is SLOW. It just makes my day. Thank you OP.
Thanks for the compliments LOL - Yeah it's pretty funny isn't it. I love smokin' those mustangs with the ol' grocery getter...
Old 09-26-2010, 02:13 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the feedback guys! Great sounding G8 btw. About where to put the mufflers I'm really not sure, that's why I posted, I don't know where the ideal place would be..
Old 09-26-2010, 02:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet thunders, power sticks, Thrush glasspacks, cherry bombs. . .