Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nology hotwires wtf!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nology hotwires wtf!!!!!

Like a dumb*** I purchased these hotwires from someone on this forum. The problem wasn’t me getting them from someone on this forum, it’s what I came across. If anyone has bought these wires before, then they know how much longer than stockers they are. I decided to take them apart to cut them down myself and was really confused when I didn’t find a capacitor! But instead, I found what looks to be an 8mm wire with a ground strap around it. I’m not the smartest person in the world, so please correct me if I am wrong about these being a fraud. I'm about to post pictures of what I came across.

Thanks in advance,
Justin
Attached Thumbnails Nology hotwires wtf!!!!!-img00277-20100925-1810.jpg   Nology hotwires wtf!!!!!-img00278-20100925-1811.jpg   Nology hotwires wtf!!!!!-img00280-20100925-1811.jpg   Nology hotwires wtf!!!!!-img00281-20100925-1812.jpg  
Old 09-25-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

dont know much about these wires other than they claim all kinds of ****......so whats so special about a ground strap......and where does that ground strap go?
Old 09-25-2010, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
dont know much about these wires other than they claim all kinds of ****......so whats so special about a ground strap......and where does that ground strap go?
From what I understand the ground strap is supposed to be for the capacitor that is also supposed to be built into these wires. The ground strap needs to be bolted to anything that connects to the ground on the vehicle. Its usually connected to the header bolts, or the coil bracket bolts. I was planning on shortening the wires when I found out that the ground strap is not connected to anything on the wire and I also didnt see a capacitor anywhere. These have turned into a ricer.... all show and no go!

Last edited by USMC35thSS; 09-25-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acording to their website, the whole center section that's thicker than the rest of the wire is the so-called "capacitor". Sounds like snake oil to me. How much does this crap cost anyway?

Old 09-25-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Besides, the "capacitors" need to get their juice to store it, which means they are ciphering it from the coil. I don't know about you, but I want all the coil voltage going to my plugs all the time....not stored in a plug wire.

Here's a tip, run 8 hot wires from the battery to each plug wire to go along with all those ground wires to do it right. That way all those "capictors" aren't stealing juice from your coils. What a birds nest that would be. Post pics!
Old 09-25-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

that capacitor must be really small......can you see it??????
Old 09-25-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is not a ground strap, its EMI shielding. Many types of wire use it, either to insulate high voltage from interfering with outside electronics, or to shield low voltage signals from outside interference. It has to be grounded to the chassis of whatever its on to do that, hence the terminal lug.

I agree with the snake oil assessment. All those wires do is possibly provide a cleaner voltage, but this is spark plug wires here not sensitive electronics. There are also no capacitors that I can think of that will work in the shape of a wire like that and be flexible, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Just buy some MSD wires and be done and cut your loses
Old 09-26-2010, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
That is not a ground strap, its EMI shielding. Many types of wire use it, either to insulate high voltage from interfering with outside electronics, or to shield low voltage signals from outside interference. It has to be grounded to the chassis of whatever its on to do that, hence the terminal lug.

I agree with the snake oil assessment. All those wires do is possibly provide a cleaner voltage, but this is spark plug wires here not sensitive electronics. There are also no capacitors that I can think of that will work in the shape of a wire like that and be flexible, but I could be wrong.
I can see how such a powerful wire could need an EMI shielding. However, they label it as the "capacitor ground strap" on their website. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see what they say about it. I'm sure they will have an awesome explanation for me.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a bit confused...was the woven sleeve just slid onto the plug wire, or was it actually crimped/soldered on somewhere? If it slides on without touching the actual wire anywhere, there's not a chance in hell it's a "ground strap".
Old 09-26-2010, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Element
I'm a bit confused...was the woven sleeve just slid onto the plug wire, or was it actually crimped/soldered on somewhere? If it slides on without touching the actual wire anywhere, there's not a chance in hell it's a "ground strap".
Exactly! It was just slid on to the wire. The actual wire itself is not exposed in any way. It's just like having a normal plug wire with the strap slid on it... Add some heat shrink and that’s the product.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by USMC35thSS
Exactly! It was just slid on to the wire. The actual wire itself is not exposed in any way. It's just like having a normal plug wire with the strap slid on it... Add some heat shrink and that’s the product.
I am not an expert on these wires but isn't this that strap proximity working on the principle of electromagnetic inducton?
Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGBEAUTIFULDOLLP51
I am not an expert on these wires but isn't this that strap proximity working on the principle of electromagnetic inducton?
I think this is the principle that these wires work on. It is possible.

Before everybody slams them, has anybody used these wires with positive results? Has there ever been a test done by like a magazine?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by USMC35thSS
I can see how such a powerful wire could need an EMI shielding. However, they label it as the "capacitor ground strap" on their website. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see what they say about it. I'm sure they will have an awesome explanation for me.
I don't believe it will be any more powerful than a wire with a thicker conductor, but it may have less voltage drop at the beginning and end of the spark.

It is possible, however it would be a function of whatever the inner red core is made out of. If it had copper windings I could see this to be true, hence the need for the shielding to keep it from inducing voltages in other wiring around it (injector wiring being the most sensitive).

EDIT: I also can't believe they advertise 300ohm/ft? Is there some secret need for such high resistance in spark plug wires that I'm not aware of?

Last edited by Arc00TA; 09-26-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

As far as I know, that would just allow a grounding path for EMI, not anything to do with a capacitor. I'll ask one of the RF guys I work with tomorrow about it.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Even if this were the case, I don't really understand why they would call it a capacitor. Basically I was completely shocked to see a plug wire ran through a ground strap. I am going to see what they say when I call them tomorrow. I don't know all that much about electrical so maybe they will help me with this.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Well all a capacitor is are two conductors separated by some type of insulator. The inner metallic core of the wire would be one conductor, the silicon wrapping would be the insulator, and the part w/the ground strap would finish it out. We use to do this with electrical equipment in the lab I worked on to help with emf suppression. The "capacitor" would charge by electromagnetic induction, then the stored charge would be dissipated by the ground strap. It helps a lot with noise suppression in an electrical circuit, but it probably only helps by cleaning up the spark discharge.

Probably doesn't do much more than that though considering the voltages we are talking about in our ignition systems.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

when i think capacitor........i think of one of those big cylinder thingys that people use on their stereo systems........and this aint it
Old 09-26-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

dont remember much from my electronic course at keesler afb.......but.....i thought these wires claim EXTRA juice from using a capacitor in the path of the wire.....a basic capacitor stores electrical energy for discharge.....a good theory that does not look like it is applied here

Last edited by sjsingle1; 09-26-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
dont remember much from my electronic course from keesler afb.......but.....i thought these wires claim EXTRA juice from using a capacitor in the path of the wire.....a basic capacitor stores electrical energy for discharge.....a good theory that does not look like it is applied here
I was thinking the same thing. But what lowaggie is saying makes a little sense on the setup.

Quick Reply: Nology hotwires wtf!!!!!