Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header bolts wont go in...**HELP**

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header bolts wont go in...**HELP**

Ok, so to start out im doing an ls1/t56 swap into a '95 240sx. I bought a wrecked 02 Z28 with less than 53,000 as a donor car. I dropped the subframe to get the motor out and then i put the motor on a stand and started taking the stock manifold off because i was planing on getting LT's, but now im just going to use the stock manifolds because of moeny issues. So I went to put the stock mani's back on with the stock header bolts and they will only go in a few turns (by hand) and then they are hard as hell to get in. I went to put one in with a wrench and got it all the way in, and for some reason(not sure why?) i took it out and the whole hole is stripped and there is aluminum in the threads of that bolt. So im scared to put anymore in because i dont want this to happen again. Should i buy new header bolts? And if so what kind? Also, for the stripped bolt hole should I just helicoil it or what?

-Casey
Old 10-02-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you should take a tap and run it through the rest of the holes to clean them out.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ I wouldn't use a tap, I'd use a thread chaser. Using a tap CAN work but it can also undercut the treads if you're not careful and make it that much easier to strip when you go to install the bolt, especially in an aluminum head.

More than likely the reason you're having difficulty getting them to thread by hand is the loctite that they use from the factory. Need to clean it out and then use copper anti zieze when you install the new bolts.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

One of my friends told me to try burning the locktite off of the bolts but it didnt really help. How do you clean out the hole?
Old 10-03-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a thread chaser like posted above. It looks like a tap, but it's not as agressive and is designed to clean up the threads rather than create them. Same thing that should be used on head bolt holes to clean them when swapping heads. But it sounds like you aready screwed up one of the holes, so you have a bigger issue with that one than a thread chaser can fix. Have you removed the manifolds and tried putting a bolt in all the other holes?

Originally Posted by yesaCSpencer
One of my friends told me to try burning the locktite off of the bolts but it didnt really help. How do you clean out the hole?
Old 10-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Teching In

if the tap wont clean up the threads, then try using Heli coils, they are amazing for that kind of thing, kinda pricey though
Old 10-04-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WagnutSS
if the tap wont clean up the threads, then try using Heli coils, they are amazing for that kind of thing, kinda pricey though
What??

I'm hoping I misunderstood you...

HeliCoils and inserts are only used once you've stripped out the threads in the hole.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
What??

HeliCoils and inserts are only used once you've stripped out the threads in the hole.
Yea...if i was going to helicoil all of the holes then i would just buy some new heads..

But im going to try the thread chaser within a few days when i get some time
Old 10-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
What??

well if he allready has aluminum shavings coming back out with the bolt, then when he cleans it up with the tap, the threads might or might not be strong enough to torque down, if thats the case then its time for some heli coils
Old 10-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WagnutSS
well if he allready has aluminum shavings coming back out with the bolt, then when he cleans it up with the tap, the threads might or might not be strong enough to torque down, if thats the case then its time for some heli coils
I only stripped one hole...

I was mostly asking about the other holes that are hard to get bolts into...
Old 10-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

I cant find an M8x1.25 thread chaser...can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CHsQ8wIwCA#

Found that on GoogleShopping...

Or you could get a set... I think Sears sells a set, but it's called "ReThreading Set" or something like that. Or go to SummitRacing.com and type in "Thread Chaser" ARP sells a set too I think.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

^^Thanks, Just ordered one
Old 10-10-2010, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

McMaster Carr has alot of need hard to find stuff too
http://www.mcmaster.com
Old 10-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, i figured out the problem. My bolts had some rust and lok tite and shiz on them so I rethreaded the bolts and cleaned out the holes and its muy fukin bien now.

-Thanks to all that helped
--Casey

Quick Reply: Header bolts wont go in...**HELP**