Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Issues after LS6 intake install

Old 10-02-2010, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation HELP! Issues after LS6 intake install

Just got done with the ls6 manifold install. Started the car up, sounds fine but the tach is dead. It moves off the resting pin but doesnt work after that. I took the car up to a good amount of RPMs, and it runs fine. Shut the car off, start it again and it works Shut it off, try it again but this time it backfires big time out the exhaust after not starting. Try again, starts fine. Try again,, won't start, small backfire. We repeat this process with it starting and not starting for a while, with the only lead being that when we play with the clip going to the fuel pressure regulator, it starts every time. Other than that its hit and miss, but car drives fine once started.

Can anyone help with these issues?
-Dead tach
-Starting inconsistently
Old 10-02-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any SES lights? Codes?
Old 10-03-2010, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Any SES lights? Codes?
That's the thing, I am throwing some for the rear o2 delete and I think the EGR, both from when I did the headers so those are nothing new. I need to run over to a friends house to get them check this morning after work.

Here is what a friend told me, and it makes sense to me to be the crank position sensor:

I don't remember if it is the crank or cam think it's the crank that feeds your rpm gauge. The PCM cannot tell engine position without the crank sensor but it does know when the piston is at TDC (via the cam position sensor) just not if that is the power stroke or if it's the end of the exhaust stroke, so the pcm will try different combos till the engine fires off then it just runs off the cam sensor, going in firing order in degrees because it knows that in the memory of the pcm. The times it starts is the pcm getting lucky lol Should be a code for a crank sensor if thats the issue
Old 10-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you either accidentally unplugged the cam sensor at the back or you forgot to plug it back in. The crank sensor is right next to the oil pressure sensor.

EDIT: cam sensor... not crank.

Last edited by bene; 10-03-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bene
I think you either accidentally unplugged the crank sensor at the back or you forgot to plug it back in. The crank sensor is right next to the oil pressure sensor.
...which we broke when pulling the LS1 out. So yes, you could be right. (We think the OPSU was broke beforehand since it was cracked at the base and we pulled it out SUPER slow and it never really broke off completely. Also, the new one reads a lot higher than the old one.)
Old 10-03-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the cam sensor is next to the oil pressure,the crank sensor is on the lower right side of the block.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garygnu
the cam sensor is next to the oil pressure,the crank sensor is on the lower right side of the block.
I get them two confused.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

Turned out to be the crank position sensor, which is next to the OPSU. The pictures we used to compare looked alike, but I guess ti still could have been the cam pos. sensor. Either way, it was unplugged inadvertently and car starts and runs great now, with the tach working again.

Search this Thread