Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want a replacement to header slip fits

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Want a replacement to header slip fits

I have pacesetter long tubes and an ory. I hate how hard it is to unhook them, have to take off the whole entire exhaust. Also, they dont seem to seal up well anymore.

What is the best/cheapest way to replace these or fix the issue. I thought about getting exhaust flanges. But I havent found a good site to order them from.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slip fit flanges are probably the best way for these cars. The old style flanges just give up that much more ground clearance and then you have to clearance them away from the body. There's not much room under these cars for that and still allow you to get to the bolts. If you are using U-bolt exhaust clamps, look into getting some good quality band clamps. They won't crease the pipe and allow you to slide everything together and apart much easier. Hope that helps.

Jon
Old 10-06-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

V-bands!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
V-bands!
Seals perfect, easy to remove and install y-pipe/headers, no gaskets required, minimal clearance required.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sssalah
Seals perfect, easy to remove and install y-pipe/headers, no gaskets required, minimal clearance required.
I's got one! wish i had about 5 more...

Old 10-07-2010, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Do you need to weld v bands?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

I am going to disagree that they are the best way. They are fine if you're going to install them once. But after a couple installations and removals, no matter how careful you are, the metals stretch and deform and they just dont seal up properly. Ive heard of many people having issues.

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
Slip fit flanges are probably the best way for these cars. The old style flanges just give up that much more ground clearance and then you have to clearance them away from the body. There's not much room under these cars for that and still allow you to get to the bolts. If you are using U-bolt exhaust clamps, look into getting some good quality band clamps. They won't crease the pipe and allow you to slide everything together and apart much easier. Hope that helps.

Jon
Old 10-08-2010, 05:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
V-bands!
And yes you should TIG them
Old 10-08-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could i get some tips on how you guys are removing the slip fit connections from eachother? i am having one hell of a time. i am using pacestter headers and tsp's off road y pipe.

right now i have the passenger side header off but i mangled the piece of the y pipe that goes over the header and i dont want to do that again.

after i took that header out i went to the back of the car and unhooked that tab from the rubber hanger piece on the passenger side by the panhard bar.

right now i have the driver side header disconnected from the head and am trying to get the header to slip off of its y pipe connection.

i think i might need to reattach the header to the head?

please help. anything would be appreciated.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:23 AM
11 Second Club

I had trouble too, you pretty much have to take apart every single slip fit if you want to get it out, all the way back to the catback and sometimes in the middle of the catback.