Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best headers for duals set up

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best headers for duals set up

My 98z has true duals already it was just done really poorly with bad pipes and glass packs so now I want to redo the whole exhaust system. I want to have an X-pipe setup also I don't want my car to be loud. I know its a V8 but I want it to sound loud in a good way not ricer loud like it is right now. Anyways what is the best headers? I want to have 2.5" exhaust and I also what mufflers are good for quiet but don't hurt performance? If this has been asked before give me links please I'm having trouble finding threads that answer my question specifically. I was also told to just get direct fit headers as the longtubes make it much harder.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's really no specific set of headers that are "the best" for duals; ebay headers seem to have a weird driver's side collector angle that would make fabbing duals more of a bitch, but any of your normal headers (Pacesetters, Hookers, BBK, Dynatech, Kooks, ARH, TSP, etc) should all be about the same when it comes to hooking duals up.

What mufflers you pick depends on how you want the system done. If you want duals to the rear bumper, you've got a lot more selection since you can run larger mufflers in the back, where the stock one was. Flowmaster single-chambers (I think they actually call them resonators on Summit) seem to be a popular choice for a good sound without being too loud. Bullet-style mufflers are also going to be quieter routed out the back compared to being dumped; Dynomax Bullets, Sweet Thunders, and Spiral Flows are all popular (I think the Sweet Thunders have a necked-down inner diameter compared to the inlet/outlet size; something to keep in mind), and Powersticks sound great, too.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Launching!

awesome i'm interested in the same thing, i'm about to do the same thing you are here in a couple of weeks
Old 10-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

Headers all have similar performance. The difference you pay in price is for better fitment and materials used. Stainless and coated headers cost more.
Any header that Element listed would work just fine. Pacesetters are very commonly used.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If by "direct fit headers" they mean shorties, don't listen to them. Shorties gain you nothing over stock manifolds. Do long tubes.

I have LPP long tubes and x-pipe, all 3" true dual, bolted right up.