Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla Catback/Changing Tips?

Old 10-18-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Question Borla Catback/Changing Tips?

I bought my WS6 with a borla adjustable catback on it already. The guy I bought it from put it on the car when he purchased it and put about 4,000 miles on it before I got it. As we would all agree on, the Borla tips are straight up ugly and a pain in the *** to clean. I bought Corsa clones on ebay with 3' inlet and dual 4' outlets. I got under my car yesterday and took off the clamps that hold on the pipe which the tips are welded too after the muffler. My plan was to just cut the tips off and have the new ones welded on but I'm running into some trouble..
1) After a day of soaking the slip on pipes, I cant get them off for the life of me.. Any advice?
2) Secondly where the tips are welded to the piping, it looks to be oval shaped and the tips I bought are circular. Who has just cut off the existing quad tips and had new ones welded on?
3) I figured I could just get a 12-15" pipe for each side and weld the new tips on but the Borla has certain bends in the pipes to fit properly? Can an exhaust shop match the aftermarket catbacks bends so new pipes would fit the rear valence of my WS6 normally?

Sorry for the rant this is just really pissing me off that I'm having difficulties disassembling/changing exhaust tips. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by mac62989; 10-18-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your having a lot of touble just take it to a good local exhaust shop.
They will probably charge you like $50 at most.
Make sure to tell them you want stainless steel if they are going to run new pipe if thats what you want, and they will make it look good.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

what you dont like the intercooled dual/dual tips? i had that cat back on my 96 looks and sounds good! ill take your tips!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

^ I dont know man. Their a pain to keep clean and I wanted some big outlet corsa clones. I think their the best tips you can get for a WS6. If and when I get them off tell me what you want to pay for them and there yours. I'll have no use for them.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

^ sounds good im tired of my slp Dual Dual tips
Old 10-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=mac62989;14006078]I bought my WS6 with a borla adjustable catback on it already. The guy I bought it from put it on the car when he purchased it and put about 4,000 miles on it before I got it. As we would all agree on, the Borla tips are straight up ugly and a pain in the *** to clean. I bought Corsa clones on ebay

speak for yourself dude!! I love my Borla exhaust and the innercooled dual/dual tips.
to clean the Borla tips use castrol wheel cleaner, my choice but probably any wheel cleaner will work and a baby bottle brush with a nipple brush tip on the other end. spray the cleaner inside the cool, not hot tip and and spin the brush inside the large pipe and the nipple brush in the inner cooler slots. They will look like new!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Borla Catback/Changing Tips?