Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Professional Products Typhoon 96mm?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Professional Products Typhoon 96mm?

im lookint to install a intake manifold on my 98 ls1 6spd. Has anyone install the typhoon 96 mm ls1 version. Does the kit include evrything i need for the install. I want a intake and it appears to be the best ive seen so far and a good price. yall let me know what you think i want to make shure. but does everything come on the kit. it say rails and everything included. and also will the stock throttle body work with it.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know this part but my experience with the 85mm
was all positive.

I received an adaptor horn with my stuff but I bought
intake & TB together, and can't remember which it came
with. Using the stock TB would kind of defeat the whole
purpose.

The one thing to watch is the gaskets, the early production
ones tended not to seal well and they were updated to an
embossed-O-ring design. Green colored fiber ones are old.
Pro Products was kind enough to send me the new type.

You will want to replace the valley cover bolts with low
profile button head screws.

I posted some stuff about my install, back when.

The performance data seems to be sparse, in terms of
direct comparo to other similar-size products. The
aluminum should be port-able but don't know if there
are people who have figured out best practices. The
bottom being removable helps that.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Teching In

any body else know any thing about this intake. willl the 85mm throttle body work witht the 96mm intake?
Old 11-03-2010, 03:36 AM
Launching!

i have the 96mm version on my 408. breaking it in no dyno numbers but i like it. it seals fine, it comes with everything and has some big *** gaskets. didnt have any vac leaks and only had a small fuel leak because i didnt tighten the crossover, completely my fault. However i would buy the 95mm throttle body on ebay from jantzer or look for a throttle body that size. i like mine and it came with everything needed.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DGageSS
i have the 96mm version on my 408. breaking it in no dyno numbers but i like it. it seals fine, it comes with everything and has some big *** gaskets. didnt have any vac leaks and only had a small fuel leak because i didnt tighten the crossover, completely my fault. However i would buy the 95mm throttle body on ebay from jantzer or look for a throttle body that size. i like mine and it came with everything needed.
I couldnt find that seller. Any more info on the TB you bought?
Old 11-24-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a stock ls1 TB is only 75mm and a 3 bolt design.I believe the intake you are looking at is a 4 bolt design.a believe a 85 mm or smaller TB would be a 3 bolt.check TSP for a 4 bolt TB.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Teching In

i think the 96mm LS2 style tb with cable drive will work. I am trying to find that out from professional products right now, just waiting to hear back.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

competition products sells them.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Veteran

I did a LOT of reading on this tonight and I'm very tempted, but there seem to be mixed reviews and the product doesn't seem to have a STRONG backing the way the FAST intake does. Still have to dig up some more dyno numbers on the BIG thread I found about this in the search. Seems strong though even claiming 17hp over an LS6 and probably a couple HP over a 90/90. -Thread I was reading was from 2006.

I'd LOVE a FAST, but it's just too damn expensive. Even though they seemed to have brought their prices down.. and I'd prolly just fit a 92mm TB on the 102 shell anyway. 102mm is way too big for a 347 LS1, IMO.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

i have one that i installed on a ls1 and i used a nickwilliams 95mm throttle body it works perfect togeather.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

^ SWEET! THAT answer a big question I was looking to find out.. I was feeling a little odd about using an LS2 TB, but the NW will work!

Got pics?
Old 11-25-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey there i have the ls2 style 96mm on my ls1, so it has the 4 bolt tb design and larger injector oring seats. mine has the nick williams 96 tb, and i bought the ls2 injector conversion from katech for like 20 bucks. to answer your question the kit will come with everything for the rails. you will need some yellow thread tape for the fittings, not the white that would be used on water lines. the yellow is meant to withstand gasoline, just an added peace of mind from leaks. also it should come with gaskets for the intake, need to get some spray on adhesive. another thing, if it is the ls2 style, the map sensor location is on the front of the intake, so you will have to extend the map sensor wires by cutting the sensor and splice some wires, just make sure you leave enough wire length on the sensor to strip them of the protection coating to splice them, and make sure you match the wires up correctly and like stated above you will need the button head valley cover bolts, should cost about 15 bucks. as for performance, its AMAZING!!!. night and day over the ls6, not just seat of the pants, but throttle response too. the ls6 was restricting my cams performance, so i couldve gone with the 85mm version but i got a HELL of a deal for my intake and throttle body combo. there have been actual dyno results that ive seen, not on f-bodies but ive seen on GTO's with ls6 intake, and persons gained 15-19 hp with the 85mm version with a bolt on car, ide imagine it would be more with the 96 version. i havnt re-dynoed my car since i installed the intake but it dynoed before at 410 whp with the ls6, so im hopeing to squeak the last little bit out of my cam, also the car has stock 241's. but just the power is totally different from the ls6, and i imagine it would be comparable to a fast 90, or 92 which ever makes more out of the box. IMHO, ide buy it, you'll be happy with it, i garuntee it.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Launching!

^good info but not all correct
they make the 96mm typhoon that is an ls1 intake. the MAP is in the back. this is the one i said i had on my 408. however even though its the ls1 version it still uses that 4 bolt designs. i looked for the seller of my 95mm throttle body and couldnt find it but there 96mm for sale that pro products makes. i have had no problems with fitment or leaking. i think its great, but DONT FORGET THE BIGGER O-RINGS and they come with it.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Launching!

oh wait my bad he said in case you get the ls2 so all of his info is correct as well, but i used stock valley cover bolts.....dont know how????
Old 11-26-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Veteran

^ Got lucky?? Either that or it's not seated all the way and just happens to run fine. I dunno either..
Old 12-07-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

BUMP..

I was gonna start another thread on this but why bother..

I'm seriously tempted to to get this 96mm intake.. It can't be bad and the only real dyno result I found was for the 85mm and that was with shaved 5.3 heads, cut pistons, a HUGE cam and a splash of 110 octane and they didn't make that much power..

But it would be like comparing the 85 BBK SSI and the 85 PPT intake and saying that they suck because they didn't produce 90mm results.. THis is just really frusterating right now.. So if anyone else has any pics of solid info for this intake, we could really use it..

More/less for the other guys out there who don't feel like spending $900 on an intake if they could have another one for half the price that performs the same..

And FAST screwed up (IMO) WHY did they discontinue the 92? Granted people port the intake and make them bigger anyway, but they skipped from a 92 to a 102.... When it first came out it was for the LS3 and 7 engines. THEN they came out with the cathedral designs. I mean, for a moderate cam like mine, would I really need that HUGE 4" mouth and an intake with runners that will suck up a small dog? My cam is only 224/228 .637 .639 110 with 5* overlap. Maybe the 102 would be best with a 6.0 with a big cam.. And I don't want to hear "Well I gained 19hp over a BBK 85mm or an LS6 intake so THAT'S why it's the best!" That's **** to me.. Give us solid numbers and true results back to back... Oh wait... There really isn't anything... Just wait till spring.. I'll see what I can crank out with a fresh tune on a MD at sea level..

I'm about to do the 96, get a good TB and ducting.. Redo my exhaust and get this bitch dyno tuned in the spring and see how it does.. if it doesn't work out or something else comes out, I'll sell the intake about this time next year and just get the next best then... Or an L99 block and just quit fukin around all together..
Old 12-08-2010, 03:55 AM
Teching In

I just bought the 96mm intake off ebay for $300 plus shipping. I got it last week. It looks great. I may do a little finishing work on it to smooth out the finish and powder coat it. I have emailed PP twice asking about if the 96mm cable driven LS2 throttle body will work with the 96mm ls1/ls2 intake and have not got a reply yet. I may try to give them a call to see.
A stock ls6 intake will cost $300 and you dont get different fuel rails and all that the PP Typhoon comes with, plus you are jumping to a 96mm TB which is a big difference and it should have noticeable HP gains over the LS6 intake. It really sounds like a win in my book.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah I'm bumpin this...

I've batted back and fourth over the FAST and PP and I still can't make up my mind. I guess I'm gonna wait and see what tax season brings. I'd like to find a used FAST, but there's not much around this week. Found a PP 96 here for sale, but it's gone already. Was a good price too.

Anyone have any direct dyno comparison regarding this intake, an LS6 or so and maybe a FAST? GMHTP should really do a dyno comparo about this.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

AHHA!! Found this on LS2GTO...

Dated 4-9-08
Most tests on the Fast 90 or 92 intake show a aprox net gain of about 17 HP depending on your application.One guy on LS1GTO.COM just did a Vengence ported Fast 92 and a Ported 90 Throttle body and his gain was documented as a 15 HP at a cost of over $1,400.00. For about $500.00 complete with fuel rails you can get a Typhoon 96 MM intake, it might be down about 5 HP compaired to the FAST 92 or 90, but if you use nitrous or Turbo you will be glad you had the added strength. I did a unported Typhoon on my car and gained 14 HP, it can be taken apart to be ported if you like. Here is what happens when a plastic intake has a back fire. Check out the picture. my cost for intake and intall was $750.00 . The FAST will cost more then that just for the intake without rails and fittings. If you want some HP gains with a lot of strength and good looks go with the Typhoon, If the HP gain is your only goal. Go with The FAST. But remember, no matter which type of bolt on you add to your car, NUMBERS will be different from car to car.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Teching In

nice find. Like I said earlier I got my PP Typhoon 96mm intake with rails and all that for $350 shipped on ebay. I am gonna get the PP 96mm cable driven TB from the same sell its right around $225 for that TB. So for less than $600 thats a pretty good setup! If I had the time and extra cash I would dyno the car with both intakes but I don't want to spend the money just to see what the difference is.

Quick Reply: Professional Products Typhoon 96mm?