Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter's w/ Jet Hot coating

Old 10-23-2010, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter's w/ Jet Hot coating

I've been looking around at different headers and like what I've seen and heard about the cost/quality of pacesetters. From what I've gathered they're a quality part but don't last as long as the more expensive stainless steel brands. I was searching on Maryland Speed and they offer pacesetter's with a Jet Hot coating. They go on to explain that the pacesetter coating is cheap and only coats the outside and the jet hot coating is much better, etc. My question is: is the coating worth the extra money? Will it make a huge difference over the regular coating in terms of performance/durability? Because if the Jet Hot coating makes the pacesetters as durable or close to as durable as Kook's or ARH's for almost half the price then it looks like the best deal on the market.

Pacesetter Coating:
http://marylandspeed.com/pacesetter-...ct-p-1268.html

Jet Hot coating:
http://marylandspeed.com/pacesetter-...jht-p-393.html

Opinions?
Old 10-23-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any mild steel coated header is going to rust out before stainless - because stainless is almost impervious to rust, and it only takes one chip from the ceramic coating to allow rust to start forming.

The coating is nice, but I pulled a set of Pacesetters off my car, hit all the rust with a wire brush, and there wasn't any point where the metal was thin or rusted through - it was just surface rust. I'm sure they could eventually rust through, but I see the ceramic coating as more of a temperature containment coating rather than a protective one.

Kooks aren't significantly enough more expensive than Jet-Hot coated Pacesetters for me to prefer them over Kooks. Pacesetters are great headers, but at $500, that really kicks them out of the budget header arena they compete in. I actually picked up my Kooks from Maryland Speed - give them a call and you might be surprised on pricing.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:45 AM
12 Second Club

So the extra coating is just trying to make more of them then they actually are. OK well I still have a while to decide if I want to go budget or save up. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a set of ceramic coated Pacesetters on my ride and they look great after 7 years and over 200,000 miles on them..what is not to like about that...
Old 10-25-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't pay extra for the jet hot. There have been reports of them rusting as well. Element is right, any mild steel header will eventually rust if the car is driven much. I have the pacesetters with their coating. They have been on the car for about 4 years and still look new. But my car sits in the garage most of the time. For a car that sees regular street duty, I would spend the extra money for stainless if I could swing it.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

::cough:: ebay ::cough:: stainless for the price of coated pacesetters and cheaper than crap hot
Old 10-27-2010, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I have a set of ceramic coated Pacesetters on my ride and they look great after 7 years and over 200,000 miles on them..what is not to like about that...
I'm not knocking Pacesetter or anything. They're still my first choice. I'll probably save up for a stainless set somewhere down the road.

Originally Posted by got milk??
::cough:: ebay ::cough:: stainless for the price of coated pacesetters and cheaper than crap hot
I've had bad experiences with ebay and just don't trust it anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pacesetter's w/ Jet Hot coating