Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about exhaust tone. . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 07:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default question about exhaust tone. . .

Has anyone heard the exhaust tone from the Mercedes CLK63s?

What kind of mufflers are they running?????

Thanks

D
Old 10-31-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Well based on what I think they sound like, I would say they are running Mercedes Benz mufflers. I could be wrong of course. So you say you want your Camaro to sound like the Mercedes Benz huh? I bet you could find those mufflers at a car lot that sells......Mercedes Benz
Old 10-31-2010, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Senior member or not, listen to the car and then keep your opinion to yourself. I'm asking a tech question, not opinion piece here. NO $h!t they're mercedes mufflers...
Old 10-31-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dude seriously, I have a feeling MB is a lot like Ferrari and other top end manufacturers in that they spend lots of R+D just getting that perfect sound from an engine. I don't think you could replicate that sound by just using their mufflers on different applications. Just doesn't work that way. Ferrari even goes so far as to make every one of their cars have the distinct "Ferrari" tone.

And BTW, get the chip off your shoulder and you and the internet will get along a lot better
Old 10-31-2010, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they're AMG mufflers idk if there made by another company or not. but my guess is that there in house built by amg
Old 10-31-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

I think the gentleman was pointing out the obvious: you want Mercedes answers... Ask Mercedes people I recommend taking it a little easier next time and lighten up
Old 10-31-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

completely different engine setup, different displacement, different cats, resonators, mufflers, exhaust routing, and definitely different manifolds. just go buy one it will be a lot easier.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:48 AM
11 Second Club

yes, I've got a chip on my shoulder when someone comes off with a want your car to sound like a mercedes... that car sounds bad-***!!! Mine isn't horrible, but that Merc sounds like old-school muscle! I expected a possible (since there are rich Camaro owners on here) that after a period of time, someone who owns one or maybe works on one could give a representative answer. I didn't know the AMG option (thank you Matt) but expected something custom. Was hoping someone might know if it's like 2-3-4-what ever chambers /baffles/glass. . . whatever. I think I've found out they're running something close to our TD setups... Just need TECHNICAL info on their mufflers.

Thank you,

D
Old 11-01-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Honestly, I think MB owners are less likely to cut open what I presume is super expensive mufflers then say camaro owners. Its hard to find cut-aways of mufflers for our cars so you can imagine finding a cut-away of the AMG muffler would be difficult unless it was from the manufacturer. But like previously stated, its not just about the type/size of muffler that a particular car runs. They spend lots of research time/money finding that perfect sound. Its going to be close to impossible for the average joe to reproduce this. Honestly, close to impossible. I say choose the best sounding engine/car that you drive from the various sound clips floating around, and mimic that exhaust system on your own car. Either that or install the MB motor/drivetrain/exhaust in your Camaro.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

yeah, thats a little cost prohibitive...