Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What 4' muffler for mufflex type exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What 4' muffler for mufflex type exhaust

I am running 1 3/4 headers, 3 inch pipe to 3'/4' FM merge with a dynomax bullet on the end. Going to route it like the mufflex and then add another muffler. What should I add? Looking for a good tone that isnt crazy loud. I do want to try and keep it light and unrestrictive however. Let me know. Would be great if you guys have sound clips.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your going to get the answer of loud and unrestricted dont go together. Its like being fast/reliable/cheap.. you can only pick two.

Why not get a nice quieting muffler and just run a cut out in the I pipe??
Old 11-08-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
your going to get the answer of loud and unrestricted dont go together. Its like being fast/reliable/cheap.. you can only pick two.

Why not get a nice quieting muffler and just run a cut out in the I pipe??
Both borla and magnaflow have straight through designs that are not too loud. Just curious is anyone has used anything else.

On the cutouts, The car is more of a "sleeper". I dont want the cutout to give away the cam. Also cutouts are "scary" to a lot of average guys. The car should look and sound pretty normal for a 400+ rwhp on motor and 550ish on the spray.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You will find, when looking into 4 inch mufflers that choice is really limited as opposed to 3 inch where there is literally hundreds of mufflers to choose. I personally chose a single chamber flowmaster and it sounds great although may be a little louder then what you are looking for. Sound clips here......

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...pics-vids.html
Old 11-08-2010, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the post sir. Really appreciate the sound clips as well.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just looked and Borla and Dynatech also have 4" inlet oval case mufflers.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used 4" dynomaxs 6" round mufflers on my 66 chevelle and like how quiet it was a the strip.I have used 3" dynomaxs rounds on 2 cars I did exhaust systems for and the sounded ok.I plan on using 1 4" dynomax round on my TA.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by garygnu
I used 4" dynomaxs 6" round mufflers on my 66 chevelle and like how quiet it was a the strip.I have used 3" dynomaxs rounds on 2 cars I did exhaust systems for and the sounded ok.I plan on using 1 4" dynomax round on my TA.
Thats good to hear. So it quieted the car down quite a bit? Looking for a nice mellow tone below 2500 rpms. After that im not too worried about how loud as long as it isn't crazy. But I do not want to run a cutout so I need it to not restrict power as much as possible while trying to keep the system fairly light. I know 4' pipe wont be "light" but no cats no tips and a single pipe should help with over all weight.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.home made 3" Y-pipe,flowmaster merger to a 4" I -pipe to the dynomax 4" muffler.I like the sound of the 3"dynomax round mufflers in my vette when I drive it.The 4' pipe won't add much extra weight to the system.

Quick Reply: What 4' muffler for mufflex type exhaust