Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stutter or stumble under slow acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stutter or stumble under slow acceleration?

I am not sure if this is a part issue or tuning issue, so I figured I would post it here. Under light acceleration (like one would accelerate if leaving a stop light with a cop behind you) my car gets a nasty stumble and feels like it loses a little power. At WOT it is an animal and will break the tires free no problem. Also I scanned the computer there are no codes. Any input? Is this a tuning issue? TPS? The only mods are Lid, Headers, Exhaust, ORY, and Motor Mounts. The car is still on a stock tune and runs super pig rich.....Could it be loading up with fuel? I hope its a tuning issue. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bump anyone?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silversrtman
(like one would accelerate if leaving a stop light with a cop behind you) .
that made me laugh

does it happen every time? id start with fuel pressure first. my car did that when it had a bad fuel pump. if its fine then go to spark plugs and see what happens from there.. good luck

EDIT: you might wanna check your fuel filter too!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd like to hear any advice on this too, I was going to post this but never got to it. I have the same problem. For me, though, I don't have to be that light on the throttle. Even if I give it a little kick, it does it to me. However, just like you, OP, on WOT, I don't have this problem.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
that made me laugh

does it happen every time? id start with fuel pressure first. my car did that when it had a bad fuel pump. if its fine then go to spark plugs and see what happens from there.. good luck

EDIT: you might wanna check your fuel filter too!
lol thanks for the advice sir, the fuel filter is only a year old....I will definitely start with the fuel pressure

Originally Posted by cyberkill
I'd like to hear any advice on this too, I was going to post this but never got to it. I have the same problem. For me, though, I don't have to be that light on the throttle. Even if I give it a little kick, it does it to me. However, just like you, OP, on WOT, I don't have this problem.
When i figure it out i will post it up.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also interested,

My girlfriends new (to her) '99 has a similar problem, just seafoamed it and it seams better, still feels a bit wierd on part throttle tho.

Mine doesnt do it at all
Old 11-12-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a vacuum leak that caused problems at light throttle. Check all your PCV/vacuum hoses for that.

I also had a problem that was open/closed loop related. At full throttle the fueling is taken from a table, so it ran OK. In my case I think 7 out of 8 cylinders were running OK.

At part-throttle/cruise (closed loop) it ran badly. Long story short, for me it was a bad injector. I think what happened was the bad injector made 1 bank of the engine look like it's running lean. To compensate the computer richens the mix on the entire bank, and then you have 4 cylinders with a bad mixture.

I think an exhaust manifold/header leak can give a similar case. I replaced the gaskets there before the injectors but it was OK.

If you have access to a logging tool like efilive you can see this case. For me in cruise mode 1 bank had 2x as much injector duty cycle as the other bank when it ran like crap.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will it do it if u bog the hell out of it? If u have an M6, put it in a high gear an bog her down and try to accelerate(like 40mph in 6th at half throttle)

Quick Reply: Stutter or stumble under slow acceleration?