Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers and Daily Driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headers and Daily Driving

Alright, I currently have edlebrock shorties on my z28 and as everyone in the LS1 world knows, longtubes are the way to go. Now I would love to step up to longtubes but a number of people tell me they make these cars more of a rattle trap then they already are. I could understand this not being an issue with a car that sees the track as hp gains far outweight the banging or code throwing. So my question is are longtube headers perfectly fine on a daily driven car? My camaro only has 25k on the clock and runs perfect with the few bolt ons it has the last thing I want to do is ruin that.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience, they don't affect daily driving, except for the more cars you'll be beating at the red lights

seriously, unless you go catless (I don't recommend it) you shouldn't get any rasp.
It could affect your emissions at smog time (depending on where you live) and I WOULD wrap insulating / thermal tape around wires and hose that will come in close contact to the LTs.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Completely fine. True duals really wake the rattles up in f-bodies; long tubes with a relatively quiet cat-back can be as quiet as stock during normal driving.

A good merge is more important than having cats in cutting rasp; cats can cut rasp, but they're more of a band-aid in that situation for a shitty y merge.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
In my experience, they don't affect daily driving, except for the more cars you'll be beating at the red lights

seriously, unless you go catless (I don't recommend it) you shouldn't get any rasp.
It could affect your emissions at smog time (depending on where you live) and I WOULD wrap insulating / thermal tape around wires and hose that will come in close contact to the LTs.
Ya I'm in New York so I'll go with a catted Y. I'm not worried about exhaust tone much at all, I'm 21...the louder the better lol
Old 11-12-2010, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

The biggest thing I'm worried about is the y pipe banging and unkown rattles
Old 11-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

145,000+ miles with my Grot 1 7/8" LT's.........no rattles, no sounds, nothing.

Just power..............LT's have no correlation with daily driving and/or racing....install them correctly and its no different than putting on an aftermarket lid.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
145,000+ miles with my Grot 1 7/8" LT's.........no rattles, no sounds, nothing.

Just power..............LT's have no correlation with daily driving and/or racing....install them correctly and its no different than putting on an aftermarket lid.

That post brought a smile to my face...not gonna lie
Old 11-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Teching In

i didnt have any cabin rattles with my LT's and catted Y into borla cat-back, when i put the tsp true duals under there thats when i got the rattles, LT's can be really mellow sounding with the right catback and mid pipe, i also had no rasp to speak of with the tsp catted y pipe and the borla
Old 11-12-2010, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

I have the LM1 catback so I'll be pretty raspy with longtubes from what I've heard. I honestly don't think I'll mind it though.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blt91RS
I have the LM1 catback so I'll be pretty raspy with longtubes from what I've heard. I honestly don't think I'll mind it though.
Yes indeed you will. My buddy had pacesetter LT's with the LM1 and it literally sounded like a coffee can full of nails. Sounded mean idling though. Some people like the rasp though. He recently switched out his loudmouth for the powerflow conversion when he got his cam. The car sounds great now.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blt91RS
The biggest thing I'm worried about is the y pipe banging and unkown rattles
Upgrade to a set of Poly Motor Mounts (or Solids) and that will eliminate the Y-pipe from banging.

If you do decide to upgrade to Longtubes, you should definitely add a set of Prothane Poly's to your list of accessories. They can be a mother@#$%er to install, but well worth it for the results.

There are a ton of threads with all the info you'll need to get the job done. Just do a search.

Good luck, man.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Upgrade to a set of Poly Motor Mounts (or Solids) and that will eliminate the Y-pipe from banging.

If you do decide to upgrade to Longtubes, you should definitely add a set of Prothane Poly's to your list of accessories. They can be a mother@#$%er to install, but well worth it for the results.

There are a ton of threads with all the info you'll need to get the job done. Just do a search.

Good luck, man.
Good info, I was under the impression this was only necessary on higher mileage vehicles due to the stock mounts deteriorating.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

nth will rattle if installed right. i have a custom made ory and its as quite as stock with stock muffler on. no rattles at all. and X2000 on the mounts i regret not doing it...
Old 11-13-2010, 07:52 AM
12 Second Club

We have LT headers and daily drive our 2000 TA. We have an off road y-pipe and magnaflow catback. It doesn't rattle. We have poly mounts for the motor and trans. We have an M6 car. I hope that helps. It also has 85,000 on the clock as well. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

get some nice SS lts you wont regret it.