Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CORSA vs MAGNAFLOW

Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CORSA vs MAGNAFLOW

I know there is a price difference between these two catbacks, but does anyone have a direct, back to back comparison between the two? Corsa advertises no drone, whereas the Magnaflow makes no mention of this whatsoever. Is the Corsa louder than the Magnaflow? Especially, is the Magnaflow louder than my stock SS system? Will I notice a hp/torque increase over my stock system? Mag boasts a 17hp/tq increase, btw. My car is stock other than lid/filter if this makes a difference. Any differece in in install? Due to emissions regs here I prolly wont be doing any major power upgrades in the forseeable future, esp cam etc. Any advice would be appreciated. As you guys know, the sound clips are sooo hard to judge/compare!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter2002
I know there is a price difference between these two catbacks, but does anyone have a direct, back to back comparison between the two? Corsa advertises no drone, whereas the Magnaflow makes no mention of this whatsoever. Is the Corsa louder than the Magnaflow? Especially, is the Magnaflow louder than my stock SS system? Will I notice a hp/torque increase over my stock system? Mag boasts a 17hp/tq increase, btw. My car is stock other than lid/filter if this makes a difference. Any differece in in install? Due to emissions regs here I prolly wont be doing any major power upgrades in the forseeable future, esp cam etc. Any advice would be appreciated. As you guys know, the sound clips are sooo hard to judge/compare!
Corsa is louder, and the magnaflow will be alittle louder than stock. Yes both outflow your current system. I would do magnaflow + Long tubes. Then it will be somewhat loud at wot.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both will install the same.
If you were keeping stock manifolds and cats I'd go corsa.
If your going LT headers and ORY i'd go magnaflow.
Magnaflow is real quiet until you get into the higher RPMs IMO even with LT and ORY.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like corsa personally. I had it on my vette and loved it. I'm thinking about putting it on the camaro too.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Magnaflow will be quiet, even at WOT with your mods. Id say go Corsa, even if you plan on doing LTs....
Old 11-15-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

WOW, thanks for the fast responses, guys! I REALLY like the sound of my stock stuff, even how "quiet" it is - I know I'm in the minority here- call me weird! I guess you know where I'm going with this, leaning towards the Maggy. Anyone have issues with Magnaflow drone, or is this a product of a LOUD exhaust only? An exhaust a little louder than stock with a smooth tone (refined- no LM please!) that allows more power is what I'm after! My buddy has Corsa on his LT1 powered Camaro and he LOVES it, BTW! I have an LS1, so it may sound a little different, I guess. I'm looking at the quad tip version of the Maggy (I know, copying the Corsa!) because the "cannon" tip version from the less expensive one I do not care for at all.

Last edited by pewter2002; 11-15-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hooker or magnaflow sounds what your looking for.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

^ I think you're right. Heck, I even noticed the increase in sound level and more aggressive tone (which is GOOD) when I put on the non crushed SLP Y pipe. It made the stock SS system sound a little meaner which (pleasantly) surprised me, I just wanted MORE FLOW. Anyone else? BTW thanks to all posters for your informative feedback- it really helped!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

I have a corsa and love it. It did get loud with lontubes, but it's only loud if you are behind the car. In the car, you can tell it's louder, but it's not annoying. You can still enjoy music
Old 11-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Teching In

i WANT A CORSA! they sound so mean
Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have no drone in the car with LT's ORY and magnaflow.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

longtubes off road y and a cam any kind of exhaust is gonna be loud as hell espcially corsa the but i love it loud i have true duals now but if i did go back y pipe i would do corsa
Old 11-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Now don't flame me over this. This is just my opinion. I did a lot of research and put a lot of thought into this about 7 years ago when I was exhaust shopping. I personally thought at the time corsa sounded like a ricer. I talked with a couple guys from a local vette club and they said it was about a 50-50 toss up in their club with guys who did exhaust change. Corsa/Borla
Old 11-15-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Between the f-bodys I have owned I have ran flowmaster, hooker, lm1, and magnaflow. Of course loudmouth was the loudest, but sounded like total **** with lt's+ory. Didn't care for flowmaster, replaced it with hooker and loved the sound. I'm currently running magna with lt's and ory, and was floored at how quiet it actually is. I like the design of magna's crossflow muffler, and the kit is top quality, band clamps are a plus. From the sounds of it magnaflow is the best choice for you.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

^^^^ Thanks for the feedback about drone, conor. There is a tone on LS1 sounds to the Corsa that sounds...hollow (?), if that makes any sense, a little more raucous, a farther departure from my current stock system, which I still like (flame suit on, lol!). The Maggy seems more mellow. Yeah, I know, computer speakers etc... The Borla stuff is VERY good quality, on my Dad's Yukon XL, at least, but VERY heavy. The sound quality on his vehicle is excellent, a little loud but with some minor drone too. Borla is 304 stainless throughout, like the Corsa - these are premium systems for sure. I can get a good price on the Maggy up here, though... Thanks for the additional info, everyone! I think everything's been covered, anything else about these systems?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

I have heard the Hooker catback sounds good also, just some people had them come apart internally after some time due to small/weak welds or something. Definitely along the lines of Magnaflow sound-wise, so thanks for the relevant suggestion!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Launching!

I say ditch both ideas and run straight pipes!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

id take corsa over magnaflow.. and i own magnaflow.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

^ Why?
Old 11-16-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Magnaflow

I have a 4" straight ( Mufflex > Magnaflow ) on my stroker and it's quite until I punch it. Then a lil noise, LOL...

Very little drone at cruise speeds. In fact not much more drone then a Chokemaster behind a 3" pipe when it was stock cubes.

I'd post a sound clip but at the moment, it's waiting for head gaskets after a cam change n a trans rebuild, etc..............

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CORSA vs MAGNAFLOW