Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best y-pipe for my setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best y-pipe for my setup

1998 Z28 camaro, lip, filter, borla catback. I want to do the rest of the exhaust. I am looking at the Pacesetter LT's.

So i have a couple question's. Should I get with or without EGR and Air. It really doesnt matter on my end I am getting it tuned right after, is one better then the other? Should I get catted y-pipe or pacesetter ORY with no cats. This is same thing, doesnt matter or affect me. I can go either way for my inspection. Without cats am I going to get raspy sound, is no cats better performance? Any help would help, thx guys.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one thing you will encounter with the pacesetter headers is that you will really only find an ORY-Pipe. Both the Hooker and Pacesetter Y-Pipe will work with those headers. By the time you make high flow cats work with that y-pipe, you just have soon bought a nice set of Kooks Headers. As far as emissions go, if you have someone tuning it, I would recommend just going ahead and deleting it all. PM me or call me at the shop if you have any questions or concerns.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

OK, so I go and delete it all, will the car be in driving condition for a week til I get it in the shop to get dyno tuned? And ok so I get the headers, which ORY would you say is the best fit, the pacesetter one?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

The Pacesetter and Hooker are basically the exact same. We have had in the past had to do some minor clearancing in the shop to make it fit perfectly. The car should drive okay to get it to the shop.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you decide to do a catted-Y we offer one to work with the Pacesetter headers. It is specifically designed to bolt up to them. If you have emissions testing in your area for inspection then this should do the trick for you. It will also clean up with tone of the car and remove most of the rasp.

If you haven't bought the headers yet, we have a package with the headers and both off-road and catted-Y pipes that will save you money off of buying them individually! Let me know if you need anything!

Jon
Old 11-20-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would remove the egr good quickly ,its hurting you big time, an Jon@ Texas -speed sold me a y pipe off road its gotta be one of the best and you can really adjust it too work how you want it to ,and I have zero rasp.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
If you haven't bought the headers yet, we have a package with the headers and both off-road and catted-Y pipes that will save you money off of buying them individually! Let me know if you need anything!

Jon
This.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 98 and I got the race style headers with emissions since I had already deleted the egr when I did the LS6 intake, may one to look into one after your exhaust. Usually get a nice used on for around $300 with a ported tb will be a nice gain over stock for not allot of cash. So you may as well get headers to work with future mods you may wanna do. I always try to plan my setups for.future mods. Without cats the Borla can get a little raspy. I have qtp headers with a ORY and sounded great with my slp powerflo catback but I just welded in a set of bullet cats after installing my cam. Wasn't raspty but it got louder and with the choppy idle of the cam the cops noticed me a little more as well.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The best y-pipe is an off-road x-pipe
Old 11-21-2010, 03:46 AM
On The Tree

I hear the tsp ory works with hooker headers as well.. Anybody know for sure b4 I order one?

Quick Reply: Best y-pipe for my setup