Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD plug wire issue with 01 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD plug wire issue with 01 WS6

Im 26 and been hotrodding since 16 and ALWAYS put MSD plug wires/new plugs before anything, and always liked them. My 01' WS6 started to have a miss in cyl #1 and #6 last year. I figured it was the LT's,A.I.R.! since plugs are TR55 with just 20xxxmi on em and surely my 2 yr old msd wires were fine. To make my usually LONG storys short, I pulled all wires 2 wks ago and checked ohms with my FLUKE and #1,#6 barely would read anything and I installed the stock GM wires and had my buddy hook his GM scanner up and it read no miss at all and all sensors were right on, only code was 02s cause I havnt got tuned since installing LTs. I told MSD bout it and they sent me 3 new wires. I then cut the boots off the old bad wire and the double crimp @ spark plug end was broke off right where the 4 metal fingers between the crimp and the end that snaps to the plug are. I always had a hard time getting the plug end (straight boot) to snap on and it looks like from trying to push it on the plug that the metal fingers bent and broke sometime in the past year maybe. I now can see down in the old good wires that still read 30-40ohms that a couple of the metal finger on each wire is smashed in/down a little compaired to the new wires I got, they are straight and not bent at all. I cant find anything about this anywhere and i need to know if it was a defect or a normal problem with MSD 8.5 super conductor wires on LS1/LS6 engines. My stock GM wires snap on very easy and all read 295-302 ohms. the 5 good MSD wires all read 30-40ohms, but the ohm meter prong have to be just in the right spot to get a consistant reading. The GM wires I can touch the prongs anywhere on the metal ends and get same reading everytime. Defect? or do I just need to just put new crimps on the plug side of each wire?
Old 11-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always used MSD wires as well, and never had any issues. Sometimes parts just come damaged from the factory... I guess that's why I had to replace my power steering rack twice in a row about a year ago
Old 11-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it came to the LSx stuff I did not like how the MSD pre assembled wires fit, very "unsure" of full engagement so I avoided them. I just ended up getting a set of LS6 wires and was very fond of them. I used MSD for years on other motors, just not this one.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've run a few different sets of msd wires on a few ls1s with no issue at all. Only time I had problems is on my first time doing a swap, and I cracked a plug, or I accidentally pulled a boot off one with my big gorilla hands.

Quick Reply: MSD plug wire issue with 01 WS6