Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Y-pipe...cut used? or buy bent pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Y-pipe...cut used? or buy bent pipe?

Hey guys,

So I have a set of Flowtech LT's that my buddy gave me. I want to cut the flange of the end and make them a slip fit design. I also want to merge to the flowmaster 3"-4" collector, and then reduce back to 3"...just like QTP's y pipe.

So my question is, should I buy a cheap y pipe and cut it up to use as a good starting point?

Or should I just buy some tubing and go all custom? Should I just get 3-45* bends and some straight tubing? Any idea?

Just to be clear, my priorities for this is cheap but very efficient. 3" tubing...no kinked bends...Slip fit on headers...tuck it up as tight as possible....flowmaster merge

Side note...anyone use these? Are they worth it since I'm trying to tuck the y up as tight as possible? If worth it...what strategic location/s would you put them?

Old 11-20-2010, 05:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98_TA_EMLC
Hey guys,

So I have a set of Flowtech LT's that my buddy gave me. I want to cut the flange of the end and make them a slip fit design. I also want to merge to the flowmaster 3"-4" collector, and then reduce back to 3"...just like QTP's y pipe.

So my question is, should I buy a cheap y pipe and cut it up to use as a good starting point?

Or should I just buy some tubing and go all custom? Should I just get 3-45* bends and some straight tubing? Any idea?

Just to be clear, my priorities for this is cheap but very efficient. 3" tubing...no kinked bends...Slip fit on headers...tuck it up as tight as possible....flowmaster merge

Side note...anyone use these? Are they worth it since I'm trying to tuck the y up as tight as possible? If worth it...what strategic location/s would you put them?

i have flowtech LT's honestly i cant complain! they are great for the price and stainless! altho their 3 bolt flanges suck so gd point on cutting the flanges, well i had no time to use slip fit so i cut their flanges and replaced them with other ones. no leaks scrapes bends till now almost 6 months now and for the y pipe i went custom mild steel. their stainless Y pipe has a crappy merge. custom is cheap and you can add flowmaster merge as u stated good luck and yea total cost was 430$ without the catback gd luck with yours.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

buy 2 3" 45 degree pipes and do it all yourself and add that 4" flowmaster merge.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the responses guys.

What thickness steel is too thin? 16 gauge would be fine right?
Old 11-20-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

yep some ppl use 18 including me but 16 is fine i think.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Launching!

thanks omarrakeen, I'm seeing some exhaust tube being 14 ga...if you're using 18 then I'll be fine with 16 or thicker for sure. Just depends on price...I need to find a local distributor rather than try to order online...save the shipping cost which almost doubles the cost.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Also...

How much straight pipe will I need? I'd think 5' would be enough...but does anyone know for sure? Assume legs on bends aren't that long. Sorry for the question..I know I should just go outside and measure...but I'm at the computer supposed to be writing a homework paper...and I don't want the wife know I'm playing around
Old 11-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I would of had a custom y pipe I went with a tsp ory and don't get me wrong it does the job and is nice with a good merge ,but it hangs so freaking low,I plan on trying to tuck it up a lil more,gonna lower it and more clearance would help
Old 11-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Ok...assuming I have this layout right in my head..I got the following list together

2x - MANDREL BEND 180 DEGREE U, 3inch ALUNINIZED STEEL 16ga.
14.95 each...ebay shop is an hour from my house so no shipping

1x - 3 inch ALUMINIZED STEEL 16ga - 5 Foot STRAIGHT PIPE
27.50 each...same shop so no shipping

Flowmaster Scavenger 3" to 4"
~$50 I just haven't found exactly where to buy from yet...cheaper if shipping not needed

Misc
Couplers/V Bands
~$20

So for around $130 and a couple hours driving...I can get the setup I want. Everything there sound legit?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
I wish I would of had a custom y pipe I went with a tsp ory and don't get me wrong it does the job and is nice with a good merge ,but it hangs so freaking low,I plan on trying to tuck it up a lil more,gonna lower it and more clearance would help
the collector and clearance is EXACTLY why I want to do the custom. I'm on Strano Springs...so I'm not too low, but low enough. My buddy's Camaro bottomed out and ripped the exhaust to peices....I don't really want that to happen.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98_TA_EMLC
Ok...assuming I have this layout right in my head..I got the following list together

2x - MANDREL BEND 180 DEGREE U, 3inch ALUNINIZED STEEL 16ga.
14.95 each...ebay shop is an hour from my house so no shipping

1x - 3 inch ALUMINIZED STEEL 16ga - 5 Foot STRAIGHT PIPE
27.50 each...same shop so no shipping

Flowmaster Scavenger 3" to 4"
~$50 I just haven't found exactly where to buy from yet...cheaper if shipping not needed

Misc
Couplers/V Bands
~$20

So for around $130 and a couple hours driving...I can get the setup I want. Everything there sound legit?
you are lucky for sure lol! i mean ebay it next to u haha imagine paying for over seas shipping! anyway my total cost for the custom Y pipe was a 100$ but i live way far so 130 is a close estimate gd luck and keep this updated.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:40 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I don't want that to happen eithier lol,I love texas speed and there y pipe is a nice piece for what it is,the only part its really bad is driver side where the first bends start,I m gonna see what I can do with it might have to do a lil cutting and get a few pieces of pipe if I can't get it to tuck up better,yeah that is the reason I haven't lowered mine yet,with the pro stars we put on last week it needs lowered now bad,all in all a custom y pipe made would have cost a lil more but would have been worth it,
Old 11-21-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

18ga is fine, just be careful when you weld it likes to punch through. 16ga is common in most mufflershops. If you blow through that, you're seriously cooking. Its pretty darn heavy comparatively though
14ga is more for turbo hotside stuff

For a quick and dirty DIY job, go with whatever is cheapest. I prefer to shop ebay for the bulk mandrel kits

Good luck and post pics of your progress. I hope you have a lift because it's a bear to do on jackstands

Quick Reply: Custom Y-pipe...cut used? or buy bent pipe?